Shower Wall Problem - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Shower Wall Problem

Hi All,

I started a new tub and shower wall project and everything was going fine till I started putting up the Wonderboard.

Front of the shower and back are up, sitting on top of the tile flange. The longest wall is a shared wall between two condos. These... people who built the place had the studs set farther back than we were expecting and used 2 1/2" inch pieces of sheetrock previously to fill the gap.

Obviously a 7/16" piece of Wonderboard is not going to sit where the other two sheets of Wonderboard are sitting because of this variance. Now I'm at a loss of what to do.

I've read Wonderboard on top of drywall is a nono, so I suppose that's out. Then I saw Wonderboard on top of another sheet of Wonderboard for the walls is a nono as well. So that's out. I suppose I can "make" some 1/2 inch furring strips as I can't find that size anywhere I look. Any other options people can think of?

On another note I was going to RedGuard over the Wonderboard. I had a thread over at JohnBridge and I can't logon to ask, so I figured I would check here as well!
KG88Ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #2

I suppose I could just throw some 1/2 inch plywood on my table saw and make the strips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean. How far are the studs from the tub flange?

Quote:
These... people who built the place had the studs set farther back than we were expecting and used 2 1/2" inch pieces of sheetrock previously to fill the gap.
What does this mean, 2 " wide, thick or? Condos often have a thick sound barrier board in divider walls like this.

Did you start a thread on this subject over at JB's place? If so, can you PM me your username?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean. How far are the studs from the tub flange?

What does this mean, 2 " wide, thick or? Condos often have a thick sound barrier board in divider walls like this.

Did you start a thread on this subject over at JB's place? If so, can you PM me your username?

Jaz
The studs in the front where the hardware is located and the back are a half inch. The wall that is shared(longest side of tub) was created with two 1/2 inch pieces of sheetrock previously. Using one piece of 7/16 Wonderboard is not going to lay the tile over the flange in this case.

I need to either

A. Build the side wall up with furring strips to that it's going to allow the tile to overlay the flange .

B. Use Wonderboard, Durock, Hardi, whatever and adhere it to a piece of 1/2 inch sheetrock first , two pieces of CBU etc.

I've read several times however that you cannot attach Wonderboard to another piece of Wonderboard or to Sheetrock. Is this true and if so, is it true for Hardibacker and other CBUs? I can't move the tub farther to the studs as then the floor will need have work done and this association is a complete PITA. It was the original tile since 1984 and had 0 waterproofing and there were no leaks so I'm already going to be making it vastly better, I just need to know if what I've read about Wonderboard being attached to a piece of sheetrock to build the wall up is a no-no.

I haven't asked JB forum yet because my account isn't working for some reason.

Last edited by KG88Ss; 09-05-2015 at 07:07 AM. Reason: autocorrect
Old 09-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Install furring strips on the studs as needed. Use strips of ply, OSB or even your WB will be fine. Even wallboard will work, but I'd prefer something else.

There is no reason not to attach WB to strips of WB used as furring. I wouldn't move the tub unless you're replacing it. You'll create drain and other plumbing problems.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

Is the wall flat? If so then cut strips of 1/2" plywood, glue and fasten. If not, get some 2x4's and sister to flatten walls and fur to the tub.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement