Shower Tray Measurement - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Shower tray measurement

This may come across as a stupid question. I am in the planning process of renovating one of my bathrooms. I remodeled a couple at my first house and tiled the showers, however both had existing bathtub or shower trays that were in good shape and therefore reused.

With this bathroom the shower stall is a one piece molded fiberglass insert that's probably original with the house, early 80's. So once it gets torn out I will have to install a new shower tray.

Question I have is about measuring for the new tray. When I measure from wall to wall that the stall sits in it measures 35". I'm assuming that's sitting over the drywall so once its ripped down to the studs I'll have an extra inch or so. Should I be looking at 36" x 36" trays?

Thanks
haltrm35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 706

36" should be the rough opening for the width. The depth of the base can vary by manufactures- so can the drain location. Be prepared to open the floor or ceiling to make minor adjustments
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,890

Is yours a nailed on enclosure, or a real cheap glued on panels?
A one piece or nailed on should have been attached directly to the studs, a glued on will have drywall behind the panels.
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

It's all one piece but I'm not sure how its fastened to the wall. I will try to get a pic up.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

You can see the insert sits up against the wall on the left and on a wall that divides the shower and toilet on the right.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #6

Its pretty sturdy, however my wife would like a tiled shower and a complete overhaul of the bathroom. That includes the original orange counter top as well.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #7

If your going with tile you could use a flat shower brace that u can tile over then run your tile up the wall they sell braces u can cut your own drain hole n add flandge
Bob Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement