Shower Tile Surround - Membrane Necessary? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower Tile Surround - Membrane Necessary?

I have installed a bathub and plan on tiling the surround with 4" tile and 1/8" grout.

I already have the hardibacker in and I did it without any kind of membrane. I did it this way because the several people I spoke with say it's unecessary.

Now I'm worried I should have done it and am considering taking out the hardibacker to put the membrane in.

Maybe I can get away with skipping the back wall? The problem is I already have the adjacent walls nice, spackled and painted.. It's seriously going to set me back but I'll do it if it's a must.
m1lreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

If you are concerned add a surface membrane like Red Guard--(Home Depot) -

This is a paint on waterproofing---Very simple to apply and will keep water from penetrating your backer board----
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If you are concerned add a surface membrane like Red Guard--(Home Depot) -

This is a paint on waterproofing---Very simple to apply and will keep water from penetrating your backer board----
should i not be concerned??

i was reading about this. it seems like the way to go.

the stuff the guy told me to use and that i didn't need anything else is acrylpro. that's what i have right now. would this be ok with redguard?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1lreese View Post
the stuff the guy told me to use and that i didn't need anything else is acrylpro...
No, take it back. You don't want any premixed buckets in a wet area. You want a modified thinset you mix yourself.

Also, who is "This guy"? Few people who work at the apron stores really know what they are talking about.

Lastly, I'm not that knowledgeable on tiling. What I did before tiling my shower was to get a good up to date book from the library and spend a lot of time here reading.
I would suggest you go to the search function here and look at old threads on the subject. You will find they answer a lot of questions you didn't know you had.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
No, take it back. You don't want any premixed buckets in a wet area. You want a modified thinset you mix yourself.

Also, who is "This guy"? Few people who work at the apron stores really know what they are talking about.

Lastly, I'm not that knowledgeable on tiling. What I did before tiling my shower was to get a good up to date book from the library and spend a lot of time here reading.
I would suggest you go to the search function here and look at old threads on the subject. You will find they answer a lot of questions you didn't know you had.
he works in the tile section at home depot. the employees in my area have tiling experience.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1lreese View Post
he works in the tile section at home depot. the employees in my area have tiling experience.
Even if they do, there is a lot more to building a shower properly than just the tile.
Google "acrylpro review" then decide if you want to follow this guy's advice.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I 'acrily pro' is a premixed mastic--take it back--

You want a powdered modified thinset--mastics should not be used in a wet area--they can re emulsify
when wet and also will grow mold behind the tiles----

The RedGuard I mentioned earlier is surface waterproofer--that will keep moisture out of your walls.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I 'acrily pro' is a premixed mastic--take it back--

You want a powdered modified thinset--mastics should not be used in a wet area--they can re emulsify
when wet and also will grow mold behind the tiles----

The RedGuard I mentioned earlier is surface waterproofer--that will keep moisture out of your walls.
ok the acrylpro sounds like crap. i'll be exchanging for redguard and thinset. thanks, guys.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

m1lreese,

Ackrylpro is not "crap" but it isn't good for this purpose. It has its uses and is a fine product when not mis-used.

If you care to email me privately I would be glad to help you with your project without interference.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement