Shower Tile Layout - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Shower tile layout

I am tiling a shower remodel and I need the top most row of bullnose to line up exactly at the window to make a clean transition. Part of me wants to start the 'first' row down about 5 rows, complete that and them move the ledger board down another 5 rows, and keep working my way down the wall. I have not had good luck laying out the tile, and then starting at the bottom row, using a ledger board of course. It always seems to get off some where and end up short of the window.
Any suggestions before I start would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Shower tile layout-img_1334.jpg  
gettingbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 604

Re: Shower tile layout

Your Kerdi board is not installed and waterproofed properly. You need to secure with Kerdi washers and screws. Waterproof with Kerdi band and thinset.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks ! But I am not using KERDI board, it's KERDI membrane.
gettingbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

Maybe there is a better method... so I'd like to see what others do....

But on a flat floor , I'll lay out several rows (or more if small tile) with my desired spacers to get good accourate measurements of exactly how many rows will gain how much height.

(Basically I don't trust measuring one tile plus a spacer and multiplying by nmber of rows, as an accurate measurement to use in calculating my rise over many rows.)

Then I'll carefully mark several row heights as desired in my backer.... not each row, but enough that I can tell if I'm getting off my plan. Depending on the backer, sometimes I use a magic marker, sometimes I use blue tape.

Then as I tile up from my level ledger, I just keep checking as I move up, and if I'm gaining or loosing my desired/calculated height, I can make slight unnoticable adjustment in my grout lines over the next several rows to gain back or loose some height.

It's really not tough, if you take 1/2 hour and carefully layout your desired row heights.... it just help you maintain it, and the varience in any horizontal grout lines is minimal and not noticeable.

I guess you could do the same thing virtually by doing your critical row first, and continually moving your ledger down, but you are going to have to do the same measurements to laocate your ledger multiple times, and also wait for each horizontal segment to set before proceding further.

JMO

Good luck.... and finish your Kerdi, you spent the money, might as well get the benefit. (EDIT: Just x-posted with your above note it is membrane....sorry)
Old 05-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,452

Sort of like MTN does, I'll lay out tiles and spacers on the floor and then take a piece of 1" x 2" or anything small like that and transfer the marks of where each edge of the tile hits. I'll end up with a story pole that I can then stand up and make any adjustments to and once I get it where I want, I transfer the marks to the wall in each corner. Then I can keep an eye on the rows of tile a set I install them and make sure they end up where I want them to. Only takes a few minutes to do.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shower , tile layout