Shower Tile Floor - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 12-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

shower tile floor

Can I install curb less 4'w 5.5'deep, w lineal drain like this? Cut/slope & add 2 2x4 sisters to each joist 16"on ctr. & cross cripples. Then lay 2, 3/4 treated ply. and Red Coat. then lay cement board,thinset, and tile. 12x23tiles in ctr with hex on the sides. A boardwalk and sand affect. Room is 4 x10 with alcove for toilet and door opposite shower end. Walls are 3/8 treated ply Red stuff and cement board w/ thinset. there will be a 2x12 starter then ply above. 4 wall tiles 10x27 on vert. 1, 8" accent up the ctr. Water is on the long wall near the rear. There will be no glass door or wall. I can make a 3/8 slope. Drain may present a problem. Location of drain is variable. Circle drain will have an issue at the end of slope.
*eddY25722+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,624

Re: shower tile floor

I'm trying to wrap my mind around your process, but it isn't coming together with the normal method of building a shower pan. Can you post a few pictures of your room and possibly a drawing of what you are planning with links so we can try to come up with a good solution? Treated 3/8 plywood is not a normal wall, either, so we need to clarify that. Not sure what a 2x12 starter with ply above is, either.
Mike Milam and *eddY25722+ like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
*eddY25722+ (12-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #3

chandler- I don't know how to post pic or show a drawing. I want to slope the floor by cutting the joists and then add 2x4's in order to remove and chance of movement. With the shortened distance between joist and 1-1/2" off plywood that should be as ridged as a cement pan? In order to get a 3/8 slope I would have to cut 3" off the one joist. 2xply and 12/8ths for the last joist. That joist would be 4+feet in from the starting edge. If I used only one sheet of ply, I would need to use 2" of cement for a pan? I would have to cut deeper into the joist and use 2x6 or 8 sisters. I am working over a 24" crawlspace.
On the walls at the bottom I was going to use a 2x12 as kick board between studs for strength. I wanted to use the plywood in place of sheet rock. I will red coat that and then cover that with cement board floor to ceiling. I thought the
plywood would be a stronger wall than sheet rock.
The bathroom runs against the outside wall of the house 10'. The room is 4'x10'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,624

First off, you don't cut joists in order to make a slope. You build a berm, pack in a preslope of sand mix concrete to satisfy the slope of 1/4" or so from the drain to the edges of the shower. You install 2x12 lumber as backers at the bottom of the shower wall so you will have something to tack your liner to. Then install a pvc shower liner, then your 1/2" cbu for the walls, then your slope on top of the pvc liner, covering the berm as you go. We can provide more information on this, but your method is not going to work. Tell us why you have such a plan and why you want to cut into the joists.
*eddY25722+ likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
*eddY25722+ (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #5

I want a curb less shower starting the slope down from the existing floor level. I want to use TEC membrane, not a liner.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:24 PM   #6

chandler48 - I work from my desktop and am NOT good at computer stuff. I just learned how to send a picture in a message from my iphone. I have no idea how to do that or a drawing here. Any direction for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement