Shower To Storage Nook . . . What Do I Do With The Pipes? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 80

shower to storage nook . . . what do I do with the pipes?

OK, decided to start a new thread rather than add to the existing "Starting my first tub-to-shower conversion!" thread. (If this isn't kosher, lemme know.)

I've torn out the old fiberglass stall shower. We'd like to simply sheetrock this in and install a nice Elfa rack system here for storage and laundry. The floor will be tiled over with the rest of the bathroom.

My question is what do I do with the existing plumbing?

Can I just cut off and sweat an end cap on the hot/cold lines and wall them in? Do I cement in the drain? Can I just leave the vent tube there, or should I remove it?

chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Re: shower to storage nook . . . what do I do with the pipes?

You can cut the tubing and sweat an end if you like, and block the drain. Me personally, I would cut the pipe below the shower valve and get a rubber plug for the drain. You never know if you would re-install this shower in the future
Ifixjetz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,372

Cutting and capping the supply lines below the floor, (if basement or crawl space)would be my first choice if possible. I like the idea of a rubber stop plug in the drain. The vent just leave be.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,466

The vent must drain so you have to keep the drain alive. Rubber plug looks the best option. Metal protection plates for vent and copper.
carpdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement