Shower Remodel - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Green Hat

Rewards Points: 170

Shower Remodel

Gents, been a while and I thought that I would jump on here and bounce a few things off of you guys with more experience than myself.

We recently found a crack in our old fiberglass shower surround, so naturally we figured it would be a nice time to upgrade the shower into a walk in shower with sliding doors.

To start off, I decided that being the first one I ever did.....I would go with a Sterling tile up shower base. Just for ease of install in regards to the tiling. I shopped around at Lowes and HD and they all had the run on the mill 30" x 60" shower base, they also had a couple 36" x 60" ones that wouldn't fit due to the area being only about 33" deep. After talking to a few people they seemed to all agree that 30" deep would be just fine.

Turns out...........now that i am done, i feel like that shower would be appropriate for my 4 year old son versus my 6' 220lb self. I can barley stand up straight in the shower without my elbow hitting the glass door. Granted, i could turn a little bit to the side and have plenty of room.......but its still upsetting that I didn't quite think this through. Now that everything is finished, I have only about 26 1\2" from wall to glass door on the inside. So basically, my shower is 26 1\2" x 59 1\2" on the inside.

Being that they sell a 30" deep base, I would assume that I would be fine in regards to codes and what not, however that extra 3 1\2" that i lost makes a big difference so who knows. I need to contact the building and codes department to double check and if i am wrong, i will just have to suck up my pride and fix it (which I might do anyways because I am not happy with the space)

Am i over thinking this, or do you guys also seem to think that the depth of my shower will just be totally unacceptable and potentially effect the value of my house? Or have you guys seen anything like this before in this size?

Thanks in advance.

Here is the final product:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Never heard of a potential home-buyer taking a shower in the home before deciding to buy the home. Your shower configuration is not unusual even though it doesn't really fill your personal desires. I see no way the size of the shower will have any effect on the value of the home. I agree bigger would have been better and it appears the space was available to have done so.

The shower does look super.

Your call.
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Green Hat

Thanks Bud.

I hear you on the fact that most home buyers never really get that in depth to the nuts and bolts of a house, so its nice to know that i am not the only one thinking that way.

So you don't seem to think that its uncommon for a shower to be that size? I guess I never really noticed as everything i have had before had a curtain versus door on it, which is much less constricting.

I guess i am up in the air on it. Knowing what i know now, I would have extended the wet wall a few inches in order to get a 36" Base in there, or just put a proper pan in there so that i could tile it as i think that would have really set it off.

Would it be at all possible to retrofit a larger pan in there?

I was thinking:

Extending the wet wall 2.5"
Removing the doors
Pulling off all of the tile on the wet wall
Removing the Backer Board and Vapor Barrier
Moving the mixing valve 6" over
Cutting out the pre-fab shower pan
Relocating my drain
Building a new shower pan
Re-installing substrate
Re-tiling
Re-installing my doors another 6" out

Could a shower pan even be retrofit into something like this? Or would I have to remove the base course of tiles and the substrate in order to lap the vapor barrier and substrate over the membrane?

That might be the kicker, if I have to do all of that, I may not bite, but being that I did it all myself and saved a bunch of $$$, I may consider re-doing some of it if i can actually do it properly. Bearing in mind, I would like to stay in the house for the next 6 years until I retire from the military.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Tileguy

I build custom showers and have been doing it for more than thirty years. Showers the size of yours are not unusual. I'll admit most of what I build has been much much larger but they are built in all sizes.

What is that pan made of?

I don't see why that pan couldn't be removed and replaced with a wider pan of the same breed. May have to remove the bottom row of tile but that isn't a huge deal. Getting the tile to look right on the extensions would be a little trickier. Probably need some drain location modifications too.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
Green Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I build custom showers and have been doing it for more than thirty years. Showers the size of yours are not unusual. I'll admit most of what I build has been much much larger but they are built in all sizes.

What is that pan made of?

I don't see why that pan couldn't be removed and replaced with a wider pan of the same breed. May have to remove the bottom row of tile but that isn't a huge deal. Getting the tile to look right on the extensions would be a little trickier. Probably need some drain location modifications too.
Figured the bottom course would have to go, and the backer board as well in order to lap it over the lip of the shower pan. I wouldn't want to add some janky tile extensions on the wet wall, if that were the case I would just remove all of those tiles as well. Basically all in all, I would be setting myself back more than 50% of the job.

if I am going to pull the pan out, I would just add a tileable shower pan in there and put tile on the floor as well.

As for the drain modifications and plumbing, I have no issues with that as I have a lemon of a house that has served as a great teacher.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills314 View Post
Figured the bottom course would have to go, and the backer board as well in order to lap it over the lip of the shower pan. I wouldn't want to add some janky tile extensions on the wet wall, if that were the case I would just remove all of those tiles as well. Basically all in all, I would be setting myself back more than 50% of the job.

if I am going to pull the pan out, I would just add a tileable shower pan in there and put tile on the floor as well.

As for the drain modifications and plumbing, I have no issues with that as I have a lemon of a house that has served as a great teacher.
Do a search here on "Tileable Shower Pans". Namely "Tile-Ready" before you commit to those things, they can be big trouble.
Advertisement