Shower Rebuild Method For Base. - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheEplumber

Old 06-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 54

Shower rebuild method for base.

Hello -

I'm possibly going to assist someone in redoing their shower. Whether I help or they hire it out I would like to get a couple opinions.

The house is on a slab - built in the 50's. The walls have been gutted to the studs, and the floor had to be demo'd too. The shower floor is now dirt - it's like they left a 32x36 opening in the slab, then mudded the floor after the fact. The studs are on top of the existing slab and in excellent shape.

My first question has to do with the base - do I need a mortar based sloped pre-pan over gravel, then a liner, then the final mud coat over the top? (or can the liner go over sloped gravel base, then mud?)

My second question has to do with the drain. There is currently a 3 inch trap in good shape. Would it be better to use it and somehow transition to a PVC riser, or replace it completely and transition using a Fernco before the trap?

If the answer is keep the drain -looking for a product to transition to PVC - the input to the ceramic trap is the wide opening.

Thanks!
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

Re: Shower rebuild method for base.

bump -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 738

I can't address your shower floor, but for your drain- if you like your trap, use a CIxPLAS shielded transition coupling https://www.ferguson.com/product/fer...odFamily-80056
Your shower drain body needs to be a 2 piece unit that sandwiches the liner between the 2 sections so that any water that reaches the sloped liner will drain away
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #4

Thank you for responding - would that go over the wide edge - or would it need to be cut off?
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribe_fan View Post
Thank you for responding - would that go over the wide edge - or would it need to be cut off?
Since your trap is either threaded or hubbed at the inlet- I'd probably opt to cut it out and convert the trap to solvent weld PVC or ABS.
Cut downstream of the trap on plain pipe, then use the band I linked in the above post.
The pipe can be cut with plumbers soil pipe ratchet cutters (rental yard), sawzall blades or a small grinder with a skinny cut off wheel
tribe_fan likes this.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Thanks again - Is there any advantage trying to go to 2 inch? Most drains seam to take either 2 of 3 inch pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement