Shower Re-tile - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2018, 11:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Shower re-tile

Hi,

I'm redoing a shower with a concrete pan that was tiled nearly 40 years ago. There was never any waterproofing done and with the new tile I'd like to figure out how to make it less likely to leak. I've seen redgard and rubber liners. I assume the rubber liner is the best way to go, but I'm not sure how to handle the drain. From everything I've seen with the liners they need to be sandwiched between two pieces of the drain. The pipe is cast iron and it appears the drain flange screws on to the pipe. I'm assuming it's all rusted together with no hope of unscrewing it. Also, not sure if the flange itself is imbedded in the concrete.

I'd rather not have to break up the pan to remove it. If so, then I might as well do a complete new pan and I'm hoping to avoid that.

Would appreciate any tips on what would be the best way to water proof the existing pan and drain.

Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower re-tile-15440755700391824988271818114010_1544075617769.jpg  
cda82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #2
Home Repairer

Rewards Points: 468

Re: Shower re-tile

You have a pan, its just made of lead and is integral with the current drain body that you have. If it was me, I would continue demo and expose the lead pan, remove and then cut out the cast iron drain body and prepare for a new PVC drain and a multislope drain with preslope. The shower has seen its useful life and needs to come out.
czizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

Re: Shower re-tile

I know for sure that there is no integrated pan. The house was built by my grandparents and I've always understood there is no pan. The tile mastic was some sort of rubberized glue and it never leaked when the tiles were installed, though there was some minimal mold on top of the glue itself. Now that it's just cement, water does seep through on the edges. Still hoping for a way to adapt a rubber liner to the current drain if possible. I know it's not the best solution, but this shower sees minimal use and it would save me a ton of time.
cda82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement