Which Shower Pan Should I Get Between These 2? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 336

Which shower pan should I get between these 2?

I'm ready to actually get my shower redone. I had gotten busy with work and had to put this project aside for a bit. But my goal is to get this shower done and tile the surround by the end of the month (only working on it here and there plus I'm really slow at this stuff). So I'm going to go out and buy some of my supplies now.

I haven't been able to find a pan in my area that is inexpensive and 48 x 35 (the size I need). All the big box stores here only have 48 x 34, so I'm going to probably just get the slightly wrong size and shim out the base about 1/2 inch to get the drain to fit perfectly. I'm not too motivated to crawl under to deal with adjusting the plumbing (too many creepy crawlies in my crawl space there, lol).

I just have two questions for ya to get me finally started. Which pan do you think I should get between these two (similar prices, one is composite and one is vikrell and I believe there are differences in warranties too, one specifies weep holes but the other may have it too)?

This one...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Aquatic-3...N-AW/203910190

Or..

http://www.lowes.com/pd_103913-7-721...tt=shower+base

And as far as the Durock CBU, I need 1/2 inch CBU right?

Like this, right:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_65361-325-17...l=1&Ntt=durock

I believe that is all the big stuff I need right now, I'll get all the small stuff later (tile, screws, drain, etc). I'm just planning on putting this in, putting durock up, tiling the surround with some niches and corner shelves, and call it a day. Not sure if I'll use Redgard or plastic sheeting for vapor barrier yet.

Once I get this all setup and the drain in, I can start doing the stuff I'm more familiar with (tiling, building niches, etc.) I'll post tons of photos of course
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Is this your main bath or in the basement or cottage?

Anyway you can be talked into doing a full ceramic shower?

If not, I would pass on the one that has the textured surface. It's gonna be hard enough to keep clean and keep from turning yellowish.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
amodoko (07-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

It's a 2 bed/ 2 full bath condo. This shower is just the shower in the master bath, but we actually use the second/hallway shower more. I was initially going to do a tiled shower floor like you suggested since that is nicer, but we are going to be moving in a few years and are going to sell the place so we just wanted to do something quick and easy for us (plus the other condos in our area generally just have the pre-fab pans in place so it kind of "fits" for our area).

I'm just not too motivated to do the mortar and tiled base since for a basic DIY guy like myself, it is just a lot of work/research for me. I get pretty obsessed with making sure I do things right, and that takes me even longer to get things done. Plus it will end up being more expensive anyways and we're trying to keep costs down. However we will at least tile the surround, build niches, etc to make the shower look nice.

But thank you for your input, I'll go ahead and get the one that is not textured like you said. So I'll just buy the one from Lowes and call it a day.

Last edited by amodoko; 07-10-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I've used Sterling pans a few times--the quality is okay---If you want a nice pan see if you have a cast onyx counter top company bnear by---the cast onyx pans are solid and look very nice---price varies a lot from company to company--about $350 from my supplier
amodoko (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

Okay, awesome! That's good to know, much appreciated I'll have to check those out too then.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Good advice from Mike. Go to a plumbing showroom and at least see what's available.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
amodoko (07-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement