Shower Pan Pre Slope - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2015, 08:55 AM  

Rewards Points: 4

Shower pan pre slope

Hello! I put in a shower pre slope using goof proof and the sand I mixed it with ended up being way coarser than what I saw in YouTube videos. I'm sure there is a general slope down to the drain, but there appear to be some spots lower than others. Is this a big deal for the pre slope? I bought the correct sand for the slope on top of the pvc vinyl barrier. It was a lot harder to smooth the coarse sand , and I'm terrified it will not be acceptable. Please, any guidance regarding whether I can continue is appreciated!

Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2015, 07:40 PM  
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Hi Jacob,

How could anything go wrong......it's goof proof, if thought.

Hopefully you used more than just sand. You can buy the right mix already blend. What did you use?

Is the drain the lowest spot, how far from the center of the drain to the furthest corner? Using a level or straight edge and level, what is the height difference?

You seem to not be sure if there's a continuos slope to the drain. Please check it again, should be kinda simple. Yes it matters. The shower pan will follow the pre-slope contour.

Different areas of the country sometimes have different types of sand. All should work, but I would say coarse should be easier than fine.

If the overall floor has the correct slope, you should be able to fill in the low spots to make it continuos and meet min. " per foot from the corners.

Post a few pics.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 11:47 AM  

Rewards Points: 4

Pictures

Thanks for the reply......here are some photos I took, hopefully you can see what i mean....I used a 4:1 "sand" to portland cement ratio. There is a somewhat continous downslope, but its not smooth like a slide or anything.....am I being to picky? Id just like to be sure its going to be ok before I cover it up forever
Attached Thumbnails
Shower pan pre slope-img_5195.jpg   Shower pan pre slope-img_5187.jpg   Shower pan pre slope-img_5185.jpg  

Last edited by Jakeaba; 10-26-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 01:53 PM  
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Maybe you haven't had time to answer my questions, I've got time, no problem.

4:1 is perfect for shower deck mud, as you already know. But how it's placed is more important the the exact blend ratio.

Quote:
There is a somewhat continous downslope,
Then the pan will somewhat drain excess shower water to the drain's weep holes, (if you don't plug them in the next step). We have no idea if you're being too picky.

" per ft. continuous is the min slope you should have for everything to work right. You can fill slight dips and at the same time make the surface smoother and stronger with thinset.

Make sure to install supports between those studs before the next step. Ever do a shower pan before? How are you going to build the curb and fold the membrane? How you gonna install the concrete backer? Got a plan?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 02-29-2016, 01:53 PM  

Rewards Points: 462

Old thread I know. It looks like the OP abandoned it. I'm thinking he need to use more quick pitches in between. Their instructions recommend no more that 2 feet apart to make the screeding easier. I still don't know if I'd use this system or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement