Shower Pan Mud - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack E

Old 11-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 193

Shower pan mud

I'm getting ready to lay the pan slope layer of mortar in my shower. I'm still a bit confused on which brand/type of mortar mix to use. My local HD had Quikrete Mortar Mix so I bought four bags. They didn't have any "sand and topping mix" or other types I have read about. Can I use just the Mortar Mix by itself or should I add sand to the Mix? Thanks
Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 05:07 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,626

Re: Shower pan mud

You'll have to mix 5 parts sand to the mix. Some folks make different combinations, but 5:1 should give you a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #3

The Mortar Mix I bought is made of "uniformly blended mixture of fine sand and Type N masonry cement." Given it already has sand mixed in should I still add 5 parts sand to 1 part of the mix? Or should I return and buy pure Portland Cement and mix 5:1. Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than needed but I find the mud terminology and purchase options a bit confusing - I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E View Post
The Mortar Mix I bought is made of "uniformly blended mixture of fine sand and Type N masonry cement." Given it already has sand mixed in should I still add 5 parts sand to 1 part of the mix? Or should I return and buy pure Portland Cement and mix 5:1. Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than needed but I find the mud terminology and purchase options a bit confusing - I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks
Maybe a different home depot in your area will have it. Check their website.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete...0360/100318505

Instructions:

http://floorelf.com/how-to-make-deck-mud
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E View Post
Or should I return and buy pure Portland Cement and mix 5:1. Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than needed but I find the mud terminology and purchase options a bit confusing - I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks
You can do that but PC comes in 94 lb sacks. You’d need a scale to weigh out half the bag then add 4 60# sacks of sand.

Type N mortar has lime. Not sure what that would screw up. It must be something or that’s what everyone would use.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #6

Thanks for the links and advice. I'll return the Motar Mix and pick up some "sand and topping" mix and add additional sand. It looks like other HDs in the area carry it.
chandler48 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement