Shower Pan - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dlgreen
  • 1 Post By Jim F

Old 07-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Shower pan

Hi all. New here.
Well, I decided to refinish the vanity in my bathroom. Took out the drawers and doors and started to sand them. Then, stood there and looked at it and decided I hated the old, 60's tile behind it so I decided to rip it out. THEN, I turned my head to the tub - same old, 60's tile. You know the rest.
And it all started with a piece of sandpaper.

Now, after ripping out the rest of the tile and the cast iron bath tub I have a bare bathroom.

The question I have for you is... which shower pan to buy. There seems to be a bunch of them from which to choose. I'd like the option of using a shower curtain or doors. It's 60"x32". The drain is left and I'm going to have a plumber do that. I'm not interested in tiling the bottom of the shower - just want a pan. Any recommendations? I've looked online and at both Lowes and HD.

I think I uploaded a pic.

Thanks!!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Shower pan-img_20190628_184845_01-1-.jpg  
Carrieee likes this.
dlgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 05:29 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,592

Re: Shower pan

This will accommodate your needs as a basic no frills pan. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bootz-In...1-00/206709520

Once installed, bring your CBU to the top of the flange, not over it, and allow your tile to jump the gap. I would install 2x12's horizontally around the perimeter at 34" center to facilitate the installation of grab rails.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,247

Is it necessary to use RedGard between the backer and tile if you have the vapor barrier?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,592

I use RedGard whenever I have a horizontal surface like a soap cubby or irregular cuts in my CBU (never perfect). Generally if any moisture gets beyond the tile and cbu, the vapor barrier will take it down behind it all and allow it to exit below. I also do not use the bead of caulk at the bottom of the tile where it meets the tub. Water will not wick up because there is nothing there for it to wick up to. It allows errant water to run down the vapor barrier and out into the tub harmlessly. Granted that water is a stretch because it seldom reaches that stratum.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
This will accommodate your needs as a basic no frills pan. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bootz-In...1-00/206709520

Once installed, bring your CBU to the top of the flange, not over it, and allow your tile to jump the gap. I would install 2x12's horizontally around the perimeter at 34" center to facilitate the installation of grab rails.
Interesting, Like a Bootz steel tub, only much shallower. I'v seen the Kohler casr iron version, but they seem a bit pricey. Of course, their cast iron tubs have about doubled in price from the one I bought just a few years ago.
chandler48 likes this.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 14

Tile Redi shower bases are the best if you want exellent pan for tiling! We installed ours years ago and it perfect, i love it! We ordered one for my husband's parents as well, but with a tileable bench, great for elderly. If you need more reviews, check this article I've found, there are links to anazon, where you can reed even more reviews
I'll post a picture as we'll have it installed
Carrieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement