Shower Pan - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BIG Johnson
  • 1 Post By Jack E

Old 10-09-2017, 07:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 193

Shower pan

I'm getting ready to build the mortar shower pan for our bathroom remodel. A couple of questions: - I plan on using 2x6s for blocking between the studs, will that bring the shower pan water barrier up high enough on the walls? - How do you handle the inside corners of the rubber shower barrier; will folding the corners create a protrusion that causes the backer board to not lay flat against the studs where it is on top of the fold? Thanks
Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,624

Re: Shower pan

I use 2x12's, but that's just me. You do want your PVC liner to rise up the wall a good bit. Since you won't be driving screws in the lower part of the PVC liner, having the 2x12's will give a good screwing point along the wall. As far as folding the PVC, yes, you will have some protrusion, but you can minimize it by folding it so half is on one wall and the other half is on the adjacent wall.

For information, don't forget to run at least 2x8's horizontally centered at about 34" AFF for attachment of grab bars, either now, or in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
Jack E (10-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E View Post
I'm getting ready to build the mortar shower pan for our bathroom remodel. A couple of questions: - I plan on using 2x6s for blocking between the studs, will that bring the shower pan water barrier up high enough on the walls? - How do you handle the inside corners of the rubber shower barrier; will folding the corners create a protrusion that causes the backer board to not lay flat against the studs where it is on top of the fold? Thanks
Don't forget blocking for a seat.
chandler48 likes this.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the insights and additional blocking recommendations. I bought a 5x7' piece of liner for a 3x5 shower so I'll go with 2x10 blocking.
chandler48 likes this.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #5

A follow-up to my original post - I'm wondering about the need for metal lathe on the shower pan. I've read two "how-tos": lathe on top of the PVC barrier and lathe below the first mud slope layer. Both articles indicated the lathe was for mud support. Is this needed? The mud is laying on a horizontal surface, not sure how it would shift. Makes sense to tack lathe to the curb for tile. Also, one how-to source indicated just nailing the PVC to the studs - no need for blocking. Thoughts? Thanks
Old 10-15-2017, 06:11 AM   #6
Naildriver

Install the lath on the floor and allow it to go over your berm. Then apply your pre slope. Follow that with your PVC liner and slope. No need for a second layer of lath. Remember, CBU comes in 3x5 sheets. If your dimensions exceed that you will need a good solid place to nail above the bottom off a stud without infiltrating the liner. Placing blocking there helps. You may even have to install additional studs at the 5' mark if your shower is longer.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

Thanks for the information. I'm still wondering what purpose the lath on the floor serves. I can see using lath on vertical surfaces - the shower curb - to give the mud/tile something to grab on to but on a horizontal surface gravity is going to keep the mud on the floor. I want to do it right but if I don't need the extra expense/labor of laying lath....
Old 10-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #8
Naildriver

It helps keep the sand mix pack together and tying it to the berm for the long term. If you are worried about the $8, then there may be more to it than just doing it right. You have viewed the vids showing it being done.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #9

OK, I'll get some lath down, definitely want everything tied together properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement