Shower Door Sealant Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Shower door sealant question

In our house, when we need silicone, we always use GE brand Silicone II clear silicone. (I have health issues, and this brand is very tolerable for me.)

We're remodeling our bathroom, and the shower door guy asked if Silicone II is "acetoxy cure." When I called GE to ask, the GE rep asked me about our shower materials and then said, "Why would he want that? I think he needs a neutral cure." (Which Silicone II is.)

The materials involved are glass, metal, glass tile, porcelain tile and grout.

I'm hoping someone with shower door installation experience will have some insight.
Angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

I'm sorry but what is the question.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

The questions are: Is there a reason to use an acetoxy-cure silicone in this situation rather than a standard neutral-cure product? What would you use in this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,668

Well, it's not clear to me that the shower door guy DID want acetoxy. According to you, he asked if Silicone II is acetoxy. You didn't say why. Maybe he would tell you not to use it. Acetoxys can be mildly corrosive to metals such as aluminum. Assuming the door frame contains aluminum, that might be why he wanted to know. Ask the installer if he wanted it, or wanted to avoid it.

I assume when you say "health issues", you are talking about breathing that vinegary smell that some silicones have, which is the acetic acid byproduct. Perhaps that bothers you.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #5

Jeff -- Your message makes me wonder if there is a typo in his email to my contractor. He said, "The GE will work as long as it is acetoxy cure." It's possible that he MEANT to say "as long as it is NOT acetoxy cure." A lot of people type email on their phones and have fumble fingers. I am going to have to talk to him in person and not rely on messages passed on.

The GE works well for me because unlike some other brands, once it's fairly dry -- not even totally dry -- it doesn't give off anything that gives me a headache. There are other types of silicone that even when supposedly totally cured, are bad for me to be around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement