Shower Conversion Venting Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Shower Conversion Venting Question

I'm trying to figure out if I need an additional vent for the corner shower I'm installing in place of a shower/bath. The ruler indicates the direction that the 1.5" drain line runs under the slab. Can I safely assume that it runs back to the main drain/vent? If so, does that mean I can just cap the tub overflow and that I won't need a separate vent for the shower? Or do I need to consider something like an air admittance valve?

I know 1.5" isn't ideal for a shower drain, but it'll be a low-flow head and the shower is rarely used. I can't really justify breaking up the slab and running a 2" line.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Conversion Venting Question-001.jpg  
OHerndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,054

Re: Shower Conversion Venting Question

I'd guess that if the drain and trap under the slab is 2" than you should be fine. Do you know what was plumbed there before the slab was poured? Do you care about code and passing an inspection, or just what will work? One thing I'd keep in mind is how to clean hair balls out of the trap. If you have access to the back of the tub drain/vent plumbing, then you might want to convert that into a clean out.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Clarence. Yeah, my goal is just to have it functional and pretty. Not really worried about inspection.

I have no idea what's under the slab, but that's a good idea about adding a cleanout. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Shower drains are 2" and there's a reason for it. If you decide to stay with 1.5" pipe, you'll have to convert to 2" someplace. Probably just above the trap. I remind you I am not a plumber and do not necessarily recommend you do it the way you're planning.

It's usually best to not think we know more than the experts.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,014

Caveat.... I'm not a plumber...just a GC...

But it looks like to me that the trap arm from the tub is already vented in the pipe to the left of the two in the wall. Sure looks like a normal vent set up to me.

(Even if seldom used.... and especially if you are unsure of underslab plumbing, I would want it vented in some manner.... and I don't know whether your local permit AAV's)
Old 01-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

I agree with Jazz.... but sometimes given specific applications and use, maybe your practical points of seldom use/low flow shower head do trump code that has to be written to general circumstance. I would not be worried about 1.5 for your showers operation.

And before I catch he11, I am not endorsing you not rip up your concrete and replace with a code compliant 2"... just discussing ....

Best
Old 01-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did consider the 2" shower drain dilemma. I'm not worried about flow, since there were never any drainage issues when taking a shower in the bathtub, and an open shower drain should have less resistance than a tub strainer.

But I did wonder if it would be better (less likely to clog from hairballs, and easier to clean clogged hairballs) to reduce after the trap, or go with a 2" trap. My thought was to keep the trap 1.5" so that any potential clogs at the reduction point would be nearer to the floor plate and easier to remove. Is my logic flawed?

This house was built in 2002, so I think - based on its age, your input, and previous functionality - that I can safely assume the tub was vented properly and that I shouldn't need additional venting.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Oherndon.... I guess I can't see the pic very well... but do I understand you have access to the 1.5 trap in the concrete (I call a tub/shower box).

I sure would not replace the trap with a 2" going into 1.5. Basic rule to me in DWV is never does a larger pipe flow to a smaller. So much a rule, that I never even thought about it.

Maybe a pro will come along.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Again, no plumber am I.

I don't think you wanna go from 2" to 1.5" on the horizontal. That will create a ledge and cause problems. I'm sure you know this but just in case someone reads this in 5 years......

I would only do it just under the drain where it connects to the trap.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #10

Thanks MTN REMODEL. Yes, there is definitely a box there with full trap access. Great advice - thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement