Shower - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Shower

Hello, I am new to this site and was hoping I could get some good information regarding my next project.

I purchased a home 3 years ago (my first home, Im 26years old) I finished the basement since there was nothing ever done to it. I also added a bathroom. Its a 10x10 bathroom plus shower space. I have completed everything except for the shower since I am unsure on how to tackle this project. I had a plumber come in and rough in everything for me.

Currently, I have the shower framed with 2x4 studs. The size of the shower is 44x68inches and in the middle there is a 2 inch black pipe coming up 3inches for the drain. The floor is currently the original concrete that was in the basement.

from this point, I am unsure on how to get my slope I need what to use to obtain this slope?

When do I use the membrane? before or after I make the slope?

All the videos I watch, each one does it a little different, plus the drains that are in these videos or pictures I see are all different then what I have. I have a 2 inch OD black pipe for my drain, the ones I see are usually white and prob 4-5 inch in diameter. So when do I attach this drain?

I will add pictures if that will help, I would really like a step by step guide. My plan is to tile the whole shower when I am finished. Thanks so much in advance.
D-ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

When I did my shower, I kept the fiberglass receptor so I never did much research on this.

This link might help.

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That link Blondsense gave you is a good start--

Other methods of waterproofing include--Schluter Kerdi---and Latacrete Hydroban.

I build most of my showers like the ones in the above link.

You will need the clamp drain shown in the link if you use a liner--square drain covers are available--easier to cut tiles into a square cover.
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #4

thank you for the link. That is actually one I have reviewed before. The thing is it shows they build a sub floor out of wood.

I do not understand why I would do that since I have a concrete floor right now, that I could just pour concrete over that to get my slope I need.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Retired Moderator

No need --that sample was built int a wood framed house--Skip the mesh and tar paper--

Frame walls---add curb--add drain set---pack pre slope--add liner--install backer board to walls--add mesh to covered curb---then pack the base with deck mud--mud the curb and you are done with the hard part.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #6

I will add a pic later on tonight, I hope it will show more of what I am dealing with.

Should I put up the concrete board on walls before I start the floor pan? or does the floor pan go down then put the concrete board up.

I will add pictures as I go maybe it will help someone else one day.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #7

Finally got some time to take a few pictures.

As you can see it is in its very beginning stages. What I am looking for is my first step I need to take now to start this project again. I am hoping someone will be able to see what I am dealing with and give me a step by step guide on how to proceed.

Thanks so much
Attached Thumbnails
Shower-imag0275.jpg   Shower-imag0276.jpg   Shower-imag0278.jpg   Shower-imag0279-1-.jpg  
Old 02-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

The concrete should not have been packed around the pipe---That is irritating--

#1--Buy a drain set with a square cover---should be about $36.00--clamp type--to hold the membrane-attach drain at floor level---you are going to have to chop away some concrete--

2---build curb using a stack of 3--2x4s(attach to floor using Tapcon screws and PL premium adhesive-

3--add the pre slope---use mortar mix--follow mixing instructions in the link Blondsense sent you
A dry mix--should be wet enough to form and hold a ball shape when packed like a snowball.

4--add your liner--corners folded--NO CUTS--tuck the extra between the studs--staple or tack in place well above the pan height---no nails or holes in the membrane below the pan--

5 install Durrock down to the membrane---do not nail the bottom of the sheet---the deck mud will keep it in place---NO NAILS IN THE PAN AREA!

6--Add mesh to the curb---staple or nail only on the outside --the deck mud will hold the mesh in place on the pan side--NO NAILS IN THE PAN AREA!

7--adjust the screw in drain cover to about 1 1/2" above the bottom of the pan----set a level on the drain---make a mark on the durrock--do your math--you need to raise that mark 1/4" per foot for a proper pitch to the drain.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

8. using your level draw that line on all 3 walls and the curb--

9--Place some pebbles or tile spacers around the drain to keep the lower drain weep holes open

10---Mix your deck mud---damp mix--Be thorough--I bring a cement mixer to all my jobs as the mix must not have dry pockets---I don't suggest you need to do that---just mix with a hoe and be very careful to mix well----

11---Bring in several buckets of deck mud --dump into the pan and start packing----
to the line on the wall and to the drain (remove the metal cover and tape over the adjustable plastic part first)

12 --When you have the pitch packed nicely--set the drain cover back on top of the taped drain--test the drain height with some of your pan tile--adjust the drain height----

13---mud the curb with 'fat mud'---similar to deck mud --but a wetter mix---

Look at that link----Mike----
CplDevilDog (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #10
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

I found Michael Byrne's book Setting Tile to cover this well.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CplDevilDog For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-23-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement