Separate Toekick Base Installation - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By carpdad
  • 2 Post By nobbyv

Old 02-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 234

Separate Toekick Base Installation

Have a set of new Thomasville kitchen cabinets I'm working on installing. One of the cabinets is a monster, intended for dual 30" wall ovens. It included a separate toekick base. I have that shimmed, leveled, and screwed down, but now am not sure how to proceed: The toekick base is smaller than the outside dimensions of the cabinet itself. The result is that the cabinet doesn't sit on the base on the strong vertical parts of the cabinet, but instead on the thinner horizontal plywood floor. I don't think this is correct. There is an additional "divider" that was included, but I *think* this is to separate the two wall ovens and isn't meant for here. The instructions from Thomasville are very basic, and make no mention of the separate toekick. Anyone have any idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Separate Toekick Base Installation-img_0040-1-.jpg   Separate Toekick Base Installation-img_0042-1-.jpg   Separate Toekick Base Installation-img_0041-1-.jpg  
nobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,500

Re: Separate Toekick Base Installation

I am not sure that is a problem but you could make the base bigger if you want.
Are you putting the cupboards over a floating floor.
If yes, you are screwing into a floating floor.
Why would you need 4 shims to make it level and have you made calculations to the highest spot in the floor?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,486

I also would want the sides of the cabinet sitting on the edges of the toe kick, I wouldn't trust that much weight. I am bad to over build but I never make a cabinet cantilevered past the sides of the base/kick.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,826

That toekick is meant to have as an option a side toekick. See attached in red. Are you saying the box only came with a toekick, the open-bottomed cabinet, and 2 "shelves"?

I would think a platform that sits on top of the toekick would be unfinished and the face frame would extend around this platform.

Did you find a cabinet oven "kit"? There should be a shelf that the oven sits on. Does this shelf overlap the face frame cutout and have angle brackets to support the back of shelf? Or are there wood "rails" that mount to the cabinet sides to support the oven shelf? The second "divider" you called it is then the same exact dims of the other shelf for the lower oven?

I would recommend placing blocking under the toe to face attach the toe to and provide weight support. But screwing the toekick to the wall isn't as important as the cabinet attached to the wall. Then the toekick can be screwed to the cabinet platform or left alone if attached to blocking.

The floating floor is another thread and I think I too see screws in the shims to the floor which you should not be attaching to. Don't forget about lining up adjacent cabinets before you mount this big one.

Thomasville may expect you to build the appliance shelves or you may have a microwave/oven cabinet, you could call HD or I'll wait for your answers before figuring out what next if so.
Attached Thumbnails
Separate Toekick Base Installation-nobby.jpg  

Last edited by 3onthetree; 02-14-2019 at 03:18 PM.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,452

That manual seems to say that you can put the cabinet anywhere you want on that base. But I wouldn't follow that instruction also per bigjim. I'm also in the over build camp if I feel that's more time-testable. Esp as diy and not having a bag of past history, over building is very good way to be sure, imo. For that much weight, I would make sure the cabinet sides (strongest parts) are supporting the weight.
BigJim likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,100

We got one of those with a 36" x 24" x 7' pantry unit and refused to use it. We used a bunch of 2x4's so the bottom of the cabinet never sags.

I actually still have the pedestal in it's box somewhere, figured I might find some crafty use for it someday.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 234

Thanks for the reply. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
That toekick is meant to have as an option a side toekick. See attached in red. Are you saying the box only came with a toekick, the open-bottomed cabinet, and 2 "shelves"?
I got the toekick base, which had an interior shelf sitting on it when I opened the top cabinet. At first, I was thinking this "shelf" was really designed to extend the size of the toekick base, but it is too small for that, so I think it truly is a shelf to go between the two ovens.

Quote:
Did you find a cabinet oven "kit"? There should be a shelf that the oven sits on. Does this shelf overlap the face frame cutout and have angle brackets to support the back of shelf? Or are there wood "rails" that mount to the cabinet sides to support the oven shelf? The second "divider" you called it is then the same exact dims of the other shelf for the lower oven?
Yes, also included were a box with two heavy-duty angle brackets and instructions for attaching them to the inside of the cabinet to hold the ovens.

Quote:
I would recommend placing blocking under the toe to face attach the toe to and provide weight support. But screwing the toekick to the wall isn't as important as the cabinet attached to the wall. Then the toekick can be screwed to the cabinet platform or left alone if attached to blocking.
Yes, I think I will add some 2x4 under the cabinet edges as additional support here.

Thanks again for the help!
BigJim and Nealtw like this.
nobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,897

What am I missing here? Why not just beef up the box with 2X4’s
inside the box all around the perimeter, and a couple across the inside middle
of the box as well?

Edit...sorry, I see that this was already advised.
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement