Schluter Shower Drain Hole In The Subfloor - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
yyz

Rewards Points: 50

Schluter shower drain hole in the subfloor

Hi there,

I've removed the fiberglass enclosure in my shower and to my surprise, the drain hole in the subfloor is a 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 square. Schulter says that the maximum size of the hole can be a 5" diameter circle. I'm worried about the support at the drain. The subfloor is 3/4" plywood and it's really impossible for me to cut it out without a major rebuild. Can I lay more plywood on top to shore up the hole? If so, what thickness would you recommend?

Thanks, Chris

Last edited by yyz; 11-24-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Typo in title
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
" I Can Fix It "

Rewards Points: 162

Re: Schluter shower drain hole in the subfloor

yyz,
Welcome to the room. Beefing up a floor isn't always needed if the original build was correct. When you ask questions, it is always good for us to know where you are, for weather patterns, and we ask you to give us a pic or 4 to actually see your problem to help us give you our best advice for suggesting a solution. We don't know what you have for flooring, sub-floor, joists, wall material etc. The more info we have, the better solutions we can offer.

just sayin

Last edited by Mrbuilder; 11-27-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling AGAIN !!!!!!!!.,;'./xx';.';.';.'.'
Mrbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
...drain hole in the subfloor is a 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 square. Schulter says that the maximum size of the hole can be a 5" diameter circle. I'm worried about the support at the drain.
Know anyone in the metal business?
A flat piece of 16ga stainless would be ideal... sized to fit call that ~12" x 12"
Have them punch a hole in it the size you want.

Next up is replacing some wood an then cutting that.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
yyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbuilder View Post
yyz,
Welcome to the room. Beefing up a floor isn't always needed if the original build was correct. When you ask questions, it is always good for us to know where you are, for weather patterns, and we ask you to give us a pic or 4 to actually see your problem to help us give you our best advice for suggesting a solution. We don't know what you have for flooring, sub-floor, joists, wall material etc. The more info we have, the better solutions we can offer.

just sayin

Sorry I didn't provide enough detail. Here's a picture of the drain hole:

http://www.connectedvision.com/IMG_1649.JPG

I apologize but the image link isn't working...

I am in Las Vegas. I'm not sure about the joists used but it is a 3/4" subfloor with a standard 2" drain. I'm using the Schluter Shower Kit with the Kerdi Drain and the Kerdi Shower Tray. Schluter says that the maximum hole size is 5" diameter and mine is a 5 1/2" square. I'd be worried that the bonding flange would not be strong enough to support such an open span with tile on it. So, I was just going to lay another piece of plywood and make a smaller hole. I'm not so worried about the subfloor holding the weight of the tile overall; just the hole. Just curious on thoughts.

Last edited by yyz; 12-01-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,594

Since you have it all out and are concerned about the hole, adding the plywood would be fine. I really don't think it will cause a problem like it is, but you are the one who has to feel warm and fuzzy about it.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
" I Can Fix It "

Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Since you have it all out and are concerned about the hole, adding the plywood would be fine. I really don't think it will cause a problem like it is, but you are the one who has to feel warm and fuzzy about it.

Agree with chandler48, Just add the ply, and let it go. You might want to use a little construction adhesive between layers, and shower to your hearts content.

just sayin'
Old 12-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

If you are of that much concern.... you could just patch the hole.

With a piece of ply the same thickness as subfloor, cut a rectangular piece with a 2+ inch hole.....

Cut a couple of ply strips maybe 8" long 1.5" wide..... glue and screw them down good under the subfloor (via/thru the hole) as support for your patch...

and glue/screw your patch in.....

Basically like a drywall patch, except on the floor.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
yyz

Thanks for all the advice. I realize the question was somewhat trivial but I was curious what the pro's would think.

Thanks again, Chris
Old 12-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,662

If it were my project, I would fill the space. Personally I share your concern about support for the tray/flange. I think Kerdi is great, but remember it's all foam and the strength comes from a combination of sturdy substrate, and then the final monolithic structure of all the foam, tile and thinset all together. Individually the Kerdi pieces are not strong.

You can't add anything to the top as it would interfere with the Kerdi tray. One option is to add plywood from the bottom with the 5" hole precut in it. This will leave a space of the same thickness as your current subfloor. This space can be filled with dry pack mortar or medium bed mortar, or with a custom cut piece of plywood like Mtn. mentioned.

Last edited by jeffnc; 12-03-2018 at 11:46 AM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement