Rust Beneath Caulk In Tub - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Rust beneath caulk in tub

Aloha,

Our caulk in the shower tub started "rusting." I removed the caulk this morning and found that it's bare metal beneath the caulk, and on the seam on the showerhead/spout side, it's bare metal with a helpful coat of rust. I'm looking for a good way to move forward with this that does not involve replacing the bath tub. If at all possible, I'm looking to do this myself.

I think a good way forward is to dry the rusty area out, remove the rust (CLR?), try to put down some enamel with an enamel repair kit, then recaulk it. I don't know how I'm going to remove the rust or put down enamel because it's a very tight tolerance -- I can barely slip a paper towel into it to try to dry it.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations with this?

The TerryLove website doesn't appear to provide a solid way forward, but one person states a rust converter may be useful.

Some more detail: this house was a rental for about 20 years, and we're periodically finding out just how "handy" the handyman was who "fixed up" the place before the previous owners sold it to us. In the tub alone, I found out a few months back that the overflow connection wasn't actually connected to anything.. it was just an open hole to outside of the tub beneath the spout. I only looked into it because I heard dripping from behind the tub one day. Out of sight, out of mind. Due to a great stroke of luck, there wasn't any mold because apparently the tub's bottom is open to the bottom of the house, so it was continuously vented. Apparently that isn't too uncommon out here.
Isbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,406

Re: Rust beneath caulk in tub

Most definitely use a rust convertor ..first. Many RC's are out here, some fair, good or great. I used Picklex 20 on my rusty old truck when I restored it, but too expensive to use for a tub. May want to go with Ospho, which has the same "rust to iron oxide" convertor in it.

No scraping or sanding needed on the rust. Use a plumbers "flux" brush to work it back in the tight spots. Protect the rests of the tubs finish from it though as it could stain if not washed off immediately. It smells STRONG and wear eye and hand protection ! JMO

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 07-19-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Rust beneath caulk in tub

I'm doing some research outside of this thread too, and it looks like most folks recommend using an RC.

I can't seem to find Ospho anywhere near me -- no hardware stores (including Home Depot and Lowes) carry it. Is it a marine thing?

Edit: Before you ask, Amazon doesn't ship many things to where I live. This is one of them -- already checked.

Finally, has anyone used a rust converter and then used an enamel kit on top? Should there be any concern that the enamel will not play well (e.g., won't stay) after using an RC?

Last edited by Isbrand; 07-19-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Added statement about Amazon not shipping to where I live
Isbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
caulking bathtub , rust removal