Replacing Subfloor And Need Your Help PLEASE - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Replacing subfloor and need your help PLEASE

Hello everyone,

New to this site and I am hoping someone out there might be able to give me help on replacing the subfloor in our kitchen. Upon demoing out our kitchen we found that our subfloor has some mold, is damaged and needs to be replaced. Our kitchen is not tiny and this has become very difficult. We have 2 layers of subfloor and each layer is staggered, so they do not line up under each other. The bottom is OSB and the top is particle board. They have glued the two boards together and have put in about 200 nails into each 4x8 section. Then they are nailed to the joists using the spindle nails which make them almost impossible to pry from the joists. We feel like we have tried everything, we have used a circular saw to cut into smaller sections, used a sawsall to cut away from the side, tried to use a sledge hammer from down below, pried the heck out if it, and have managed to pull 3 4x8 sections. However, at this rate, we are going to burn my husband out. Can anyone think of an easier way to do this? Our joists are 16 inches apart and our home was built in the 80s.

We thought maybe we should try to put in a jack down below to help lift the boards, but are afraid that might hurt the joists. If we can even get it to lift a little bit, could we just cut the nails with a sawsall to remove the boards?

Thank you for your help!
jaysonjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,884

Cut the floor down the middle between the floor joist. That bottom layer most likely is running under the walls so you will need a Toe Kick saw to cut right along the walls and a Sawsall with a short wide wood cutting blade to cut out the corners.
Get yourself a Gutster pry bar and the sections will just pry right out.
Home Depot rents a Crain Toe kick saw.
http://www.contractorstools.com/gutster.php
Northern Tools, Amazon also sell them.
I just did a 20 X 20 room with just one helper with your exact same set up and with one helper we had it all out and replaced in one day.
When you replace it go with Advantech 3/4 T X G subflooring with construction adhesive on top of the floor joist. Use #8 Ring shanked nails.
The second layer would depend on what your planning for finished floor.
It needs to be A/C subfloor rated.(No voids, exterior glue, sanded one side)
The seams are never lined up with the underlayment, and it's fastened between the floor joist, not into them. And never with glue!
jaysonjenny (04-02-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Rob

Rewards Points: 826

I wood get a big pry bar about 4-5 feet and set the circular saw blade to the same height as the two sub floors and cut out from the top as big a piece as will be easy to pry up. If you put tiny saw cuts in the joists I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by Robpo; 04-02-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robpo For This Useful Post:
jaysonjenny (04-02-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,014

I had the same situation in my kitchen - as mentioned above I bought a huge prybar and that helped a lot. You can use your whole body for leverage rather than just your arm.
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman spif For This Useful Post:
jaysonjenny (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #5

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I am going to run out and buy the gutster pry bar as suggested. Did you also have the spiral nails going into the joists? (Not sure of their proper name - sorry Just hoping that this will be able to pull these nails out - they are crazy strong. I will give that a try. Crossing my fingers. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,884

Some will come out, some will snap off. Just cut them off with a sawsall.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,014

This is the beast that I bought, but any of the ones mentioned will work fine. Good luck and wear a cup....trust me!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_494726-355-B...3D1&facetInfo=
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
Rob

Rewards Points: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Some will come out, some will snap off. Just cut them off with a sawsall.
or bang/hammer them in/down or break them off what ever works.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #9

Sounds great. Just went to the home imp store and bought a couple different long handled crow bars - hope they work better than what we have been using. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement