Repairing/Filling "no Handle" Cabinet Doors - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,196

Repairing/Filling "no handle" cabinet doors

Happy Turkey Day everybody.

I've looking for some guidance and expertise about how to best handle repairing my classic oak kitchen cabinet doors before painting them.

The cabinet doors are "pull-less", they just have these grooves at the top of the base cabinet doors and at the bottom of the upper cabinet doors that act as handles. I want to to fill in the grooves, and mount some 6" handles on the doors.

Repairing/Filling "no handle" cabinet doors-cabinet1.jpg

The grooves are 3 3/4" long x 3/8" x 3/8" deep, with a rounded bottom. I'd guess they were cut with a router.

So the question is how best to patch and fill in these grooves so that the filler will really stick and not come loose if it dries out too much. What fill material to use? Do I just start small and build it up in a few layers?

Or would it make more sense to try and cut up something like small 1/4 round pieces and glue/pin those into the grooves, and just patch over it all?

The cabinets are in great shape overall and it will all be oil primed and painted, so the appearance of the patch on the doors isn't that critical.

Any suggestions and comments welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 11-27-2014 at 12:33 PM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

I would not attempt to fill that large of a space with any kind of filler.I would make a plywood template for my router that I could clamp on the door and route out the are a using a straight bit so the ends are 90 degrees .Then glue a piece of solid wood in that space.A little oversized and sand flush.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement