Repairing A Botched Tile Job - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By SPS-1

Old 10-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Repairing a botched tile job

My daughter and her roommate just had a family member remodel their bathroom. In a nut shell, they made a mess of everything. What I have a question on is the wall tile where it 'should' meet the tub. The new tile was held up about 3/4 of an inch from the tub. I have no idea why. There was new durock put on the three walls surrounding the tub/shower. The guy put 'one' coat of redgard on the backer. The wall tile is 4X6 white subway tile.

Options:

1. tear off the bottom row of tile, cut 6X6 tile to replace it so they reach within an 1/8" of the tub.

2. Buy the tile 1/4 round and bridge the gap.

3 and I'm not sure this is feasible? Use bull nosed border tile and bond it to the gap under the tile with thinset and the face of the tile that is now on the wall with mastic.

Thanks in advance

Pic's below
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing a botched tile job-tub-1.jpg   Repairing a botched tile job-tub-2.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 260

Re: Repairing a botched tile job

I like the idea of removing the first row and cutting down 6X6 to fit. The difference won't be that much where you may notice the two different sizes, and it will look the same all around.

Does the tile go all the way up to the ceiling, and if so, is that top piece a full 4X6 piece? If so, they probably didn't take the time to properly measure and lay the tile out prior to installing it, or were too lazy and didn't want to make extra cuts up top and where the tub meet.

John
kerryman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryman71 View Post
I like the idea of removing the first row and cutting down 6X6 to fit. The difference won't be that much where you may notice the two different sizes, and it will look the same all around.

Does the tile go all the way up to the ceiling, and if so, is that top piece a full 4X6 piece? If so, they probably didn't take the time to properly measure and lay the tile out prior to installing it, or were too lazy and didn't want to make extra cuts up top and where the tub meet.

John
Yes, the tile goes all the way to the ceiling and on top of that, the top piece was cut about as much as the bottom is short.
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Wow!! Was there a gap at top also, or are you saying they cut 3/4 of an inch off it and went tight?
Old 10-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryman71 View Post
Wow!! Was there a gap at top also, or are you saying they cut 3/4 of an inch off it and went tight?
They cut 'about 3/4's inch off the top tile and it goes to the ceiling. Even if it had been too tight at the top, they wouldn't have had to cut as much off and the top tile it would have 'appeared' to be the same size as the field tile.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,192

Buy the 6x6 before you start removing the bottom row. Even white has many shades. And there could be variations on the 6" dimension too.

(I once drove all over town trying to find a few pieces of white tile to fix my friend's floor. Never did find the same shade and texture, but close enough. When she sold the house, I was helping her move out --- found a stack of the original white tiles in the basement ! )
kerryman71, Mike Milam and Nealtw like this.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
Mike Milam (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 05:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Buy the 6x6 before you start removing the bottom row. Even white has many shades. And there could be variations on the 6" dimension too.

(I once drove all over town trying to find a few pieces of white tile to fix my friend's floor. Never did find the same shade and texture, but close enough. When she sold the house, I was helping her move out --- found a stack of the original white tiles in the basement ! )
Very good point. When tiling any job, it's important to get tiles with the same batch code, as there can be color variations of the same exact tile. Which now leads me to this suggestion: perhaps use a contrasting color such as black, and tile the bottom row, including the sides going to the floor, black.

John

Last edited by kerryman71; 10-26-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Spelling error
The Following User Says Thank You to kerryman71 For This Useful Post:
Mike Milam (10-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement