Removing Wall Heater - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 07-28-2016, 01:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 35

Removing wall heater

I have a bathroom with a Thermador Radiant Wall Heater, vintage 1960. The switch failed long ago. I removed it from the wall and disconnected the 2 wires, attached wire nuts and reattached to wall. I don't want to restore it or replace it. The Electrical question is: is what I described safe or do I have to terminate the wire leads in a box? And, for the Designers: any ideas on using the wall space if I completely remove the heater? The void in the wall is about 18" x 14" x 5". I was thinking about using the electricity available to provide power to a waterproof flatscreen television or some other electronic device. Thanks for any comments.
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TVC15 For This Useful Post:
BayouRunner (07-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Re: Removing wall heater

I am not sure I understand. Was the old switch in a switch box in the wall or was it somewhere else. If it was in a switchbox and you disconnected it, i see no problem with leaving the wire-nutted wires in the box. I would suggest using some electrical tape to ensure the wirenuts stay on the wires.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,883

Yes, with properly sized and tightened wire nuts it is fine.

Depends on the layout of the room but I've seen recessed magazine racks built to fit those holes that looked really sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,438

Mine was 240v and dedicated. So disconnected/removed from the main panel as well. About a foot of old wire was left out and put a label on it. In the bath, it was boxed and box cover wall papered. Original plan was to just switch off at the breaker, but my parents didn't need the extra heat, and the fiber jacket gray romex couldn't be trusted.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,004

The wires must be terminated in an approved box and the box must remain accessible.
SPS-1 likes this.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 35

Does the can that is in the wall and the heater cover qualify as an approved box while it is untouched? I was going to install the approved box when I remove the heater. Thanks.
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement