Removing Sinks From Bathroom Counter Top (granite) - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kellytacy1

Old 08-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Removing sinks from bathroom counter top (granite)

Hi folks. First post/question for the forum....hopefully not a dumb one.

Anyhow...I am redoing a bathroom at my home. We are keeping the vanity base and painting it, but doing away with the dark black granite and moving to a lighter quartz.

So I am taking off the counter (about 22 x 84 inches) now....but its long and heavy so I figured I would take off the two sinks mounted underneath to ease the process. I have never seen sinks mounted like this before. I have always had drop in sinks, vessels, or integrated (all one piece). Anyway, I got all the plumbing out and went to do the sinks....figured once I took out the pipes I would just go around the sink both in the bowl and underneath with a razor, and it would just give way since they are heavy. But they seem to just be "glued" in underneath (obviously something strong).

Am wondering if there is a trick to this? Heat? Chemical? Or if maybe they aren't meant to come off (ie - fused like this by manufacturer). Attached some photos. Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Images

kellytacy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,610

Re: Removing sinks from bathroom counter top (granite)

You will break the granite most of the time. I would take it out in one piece.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 898

The sinks don't weigh much. Donate it.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 32

I am actually donating the whole thing to our local Habitat. But I was just hoping if I took the sinks off it might be easier/lighter to get the counter off the vanity. The bowls are pretty deep and solid so I assumed getting them off would shave 30 or 40 pounds total. But if I run the risk of wrecking the whole slab, and if they aren't really that heavy.... I can find another set of hands to lift the thing off I guess.

thanks,

BK
Nealtw likes this.
kellytacy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement