Removing PART Of My Kitchen Soffit? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 240

Removing PART of my kitchen soffit?

So here's the deal. I'm in the process of doing a kitchen remodel. I have a small L shaped kitchen. I have around 6 Base Cabinets and 9 Wall cabinets. The issue is most of my kitchen ceiling has a soffit running along along. I have cut an exploratory hole to find it empty over about 5 of the wall cabinets on one side of the wall. But full of pipes/electrical on the other side. My thought was to tear out the soffit all the way until it's full and close it off. So I would have 42" cabinets mixed with 36" cabinets.

Is this a bad idea in terms of design and aesthetics?
steppinthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,082

Re: Removing PART of my kitchen soffit?

You'll get more space but often people can't reach that high in the first place. I do think it will look a little strange with the mix of sizes.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

Do you have pictures? When you say "most", it implies that some of the kitchen already does not have a soffit. So I would think taking more out would not hurt the look.
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 240

The entire kitchen has a soffit. I would be removing the soffit over the stove wall and corner that joins the sink wall.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
steppinthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

I don't think this is bad at all. Since your 42" cabinets will fill the space where the soffit used to be, the space is still filled, and with cabinets it's more usable. I think if you like it, go for it.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,742

I would go for it. To make it look consistent you could put small cabinets at the top, the same height as the old soffit. Cabinets that high generally get used for things you don't need often, like the turkey roaster or meat grinder etc. Buy one of those little stools with the wheels that collapse when you step on it while you're at it.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement