Removing Old And Ugly Whirlpool For A Smaller Tub - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 50
Question

Removing old and ugly whirlpool for a smaller tub

Hey everyone, my house was built in the 1950's and as you can see the bathroom has gone through some updates over the years.

I purchased it about 2 years ago and being put under pressure to buy a property, I ended up with this one.

The bathroom/washroom had wallpaper and a pedestal sink. All mouldings were wood also.

I replaced the pedestal sink with this sleek, smaller box sink which gives us some slight storage space.

My next complaint is the tub. I'd love to take baths but every time I try to clean this tub, I always get disgusting soap scum and whatever floating in the water. Needless to say, I always shower.

My goal would be to remove this hideous tub and re-lay new tile that is most likely missing from the current spot. I'd like to install a much smaller tub or possibly a claw foot tub to give the visualisation of a larger area.

The current tube is just about 20" tall, 58 3/4" long and 32" wide.
It's a beast for such a small bathroom hence my need to gain some space.

So I was thinking of a smaller claw-foot tub or one of those older steel tubs that people used to have as they seem smaller. If I did the claw-foot but, I could remove that hideous almond tile and just paint or use a more modern tile.

My main goal is to gain as much space in the bathroom but yet keep a bathtub.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127410...57648936623219

If anybody has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
mrrhtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,312

Re: Removing old and ugly whirlpool for a smaller tub

I think you are chasing a dream a bit here. If you go much smaller, you really won't get that much space back and certainly not usable space.

That's just my opinion though. A claw foot would give the appearance of more space, but it would not be functional space.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 50

Re: Removing old and ugly whirlpool for a smaller tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
I think you are chasing a dream a bit here. If you go much smaller, you really won't get that much space back and certainly not usable space.

That's just my opinion though. A claw foot would give the appearance of more space, but it would not be functional space.

I agree 100%...but I'm after the appearance. The bathroom is quite small. Embarrassingly small actually. Whoever the idiot is that stuffed a huge whirlpool tub in a small washroom...well is an idiot.

My concern over getting the whirlpool tub out of there are:
-Worried about water leaks from old seals
-Old and unappealing
-Motor makes an odd noise when running from time to time.
-Unable to take the side panel off to get to anything underneath due to the placement of the sink and tight quarters.

I realise another tub won't give me much space, but anything I can gain is still a victory for me.
mrrhtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bathroom , clawfoot tub , whirpool