Removing Old Formica Kitchen Backsplash??? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2018, 10:15 PM  

Rewards Points: 342

Removing Old Formica Kitchen Backsplash???

I will be removing my Formica countertops/backsplash and replacing them with granite counters and travertine for the backsplash.

Is there an easy way to remove the Formica from the backsplash without damaging the drywall behind it? Or, should I just cut the drywall around the parameters of the the backsplash portion and remove everything. Then, install new drywall or some type of backer board for the backsplash? When originally installed, the backsplash portion was rolled to make the 90 joint at the countertop, there is no seam there. It's just the backsplash portions that I am asking about because the countertops will be completely removed anyway.

See attached picture.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Old Formica Kitchen Backsplash???-20181109_212459.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 11:06 PM  

Rewards Points: 164

Re: Removing Old Formica Kitchen Backsplash???

if you slip a putty knife behind it, you should be able to peel it off with minimal damage to the wall.

A sharp rap with a wide chisel in the rolled bend will usually crack it cleanly so you can separate the counter top from the backsplash portion more easily.
The Following User Says Thank You to andr0id For This Useful Post:
etsherman (11-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 11:15 PM  
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,642

Use an iron to heat the glue for the backsplash, the whole counter top hast to go and it is screwed up from inside the cupboard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
etsherman (11-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 11:44 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
if you slip a putty knife behind it, you should be able to peel it off with minimal damage to the wall.

A sharp rap with a wide chisel in the rolled bend will usually crack it cleanly so you can separate the counter top from the backsplash portion more easily.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking as well. "A sharp rap" = A sharp tap correct? I was thinking of using a oscillating tool to run a 1/8 cut along the bottom but a wide chisel sounds like it will be faster since it all will be removed anyway.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:46 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Use an iron to heat the glue for the backsplash, the whole counter top hast to go and it is screwed up from inside the cupboard.
Thought about the iron and or heat gun but did not want to mess with the sticky glue afterwards. Although, a combination of several methods may be used once I get started. Which ever is fastest and easiest!!!
Old 11-10-2018, 11:54 AM  
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsherman View Post
Thought about the iron and or heat gun but did not want to mess with the sticky glue afterwards. Although, a combination of several methods may be used once I get started. Which ever is fastest and easiest!!!
Glue cools hard, right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement