Removing Grout Sealer From Tile - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Mad Scientist

Question

Removing grout sealer from tile

Hey guys, it's once again time for me to ask questions instead of answering 'em.

I may have been a little hurried and careless while sealing the grout in my freshly tiled bathtub alcove. I was trying to wipe off the excess sealer as I went, but I seem to have mostly succeeded in smearing it all over the white ceramic tiles. It's not very noticeable except at an angle, but it's gonna bug me anyway.

So, what's the best way to get this stuff off the tile? The specific product was Tile Guard Silicon Grout Sealer.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Often the best solvent is the sealer itself----try a spot and see if this works---

You need a couple of microfiber towels and a bottle of strong cleaner (like Greased Lightning)

Wipe the spot with more sealer--work it hard----while it is still wet--wipe off the excess with a paper towel--spray it with the cleaner and then wipe clean with the microfiber towel.

Rinse--let us know if it works---
McSteve (09-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

That makes total sense. I'll give it a shot later this week and post results. Here's a picture of the area, for no particular reason except that I'm rather pleased with it. Mistakes were made, to be sure, but it does the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing grout sealer from tile-1442368126443.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I like the block window work---flush with the tile--no sill to gather soap crud---

Simple,clean design ----Nice---
Old 09-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
Mad Scientist

The real tricky bit was where I had to cheat like crazy to hide the slight difference in size between the block and tile. The accent breaks the horizontal line to hide a 1/4" difference, and I just fudged the grout lines a lot to accomplish the same thing across the width.

The window I had to bring my carpenter buddy in for. Even he hadn't done one quite like this, but we got it figured out.

Anyhow, maybe I'll make a showcase thread one of these days with the before and after. It was horrible when we bought it.
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cleaning , grout , sealer , tile