Removing Countertop Wood Glued To Cabinets - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip

Old 04-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Removing countertop wood glued to cabinets

How can I get the countertop off without damaging the cabinets?

I have a laminate particle board countertop in my kitchen that I'm removing and replacing with quartz. I was hoping it was going to be as easy as unscrewing the countertop and lifting it right off... but someone before me decided to use what looks like a continuous spread of wood glue to mount the countertop.

I've tried hammering a thin drywall joint knife and 5-in-1 from the inside and outside of the cabinet at the seam to see if that would break the adhesive bond. That doesn't seem to be working. I feel like I'll damage the cabinets and will be time consuming.

I've thought about cutting the countertop into sections and then removing the cabinets to make removing the countertop cleanly a little easier to handle. But the screws mounting the cabinets to the wall were put in before the countertop was put on, so they are angled up to where I can't access them without removing the countertop first, may have to cut out the middle of the coutertop first to access the screws.

One idea I had was use my circular saw set to the right depth and make several passes from the top (finished side) of the countertop over the glued seam. This would probably work but would also be very messy, time consuming, and wouldn't get the cut all the way flush to the wall.

I do have an oscillating multi-tool that someone might have a suggestion on how to utilize as well.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.
gofscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Removing countertop wood glued to cabinets

Go with the multi tool.
Mine includes a few different blades that might work.
First I would try the semicircular one.
joed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
countertop cabinets glue