Remove My Tub For Shower - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Druidia
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash

Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
remove my tub for shower

I have been trying to find out how to remove my bathtub to put in a shower stall to make it safer for my 88 year old Daddy. Is it possible to simply cut a 2' wide and from top>bottom so that I don't have to completely remodel my bathroom? Or is it better to just remove tub? I don't have a lot of money so I'm on a very limited budget and started looking into a "DIY BATHTUB CONVERSION TO SHOWER STALL KITS" but I'm not sure if it is possible to do, so is there anyone that has used these kits? I am not looking for those expensive "walk-in tubs", but just a simple average shower stall. I will also need to install hand rails. Please help me keep my Daddy safe? Thank you
Gammie143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,642

Re: remove my tub for shower

I don't think there is a "cheap" answer here.

If you are going to do it, I would start reading up on shower framing and waterproofing.

A nice integrated seat with plenty of grab bars is going to need to be incorporated here.

They do have walk in tubs, but those retrofits are usually pretty expensive.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

this will not be a cheap easy project, you will have to change your drain and water supply pipes
ktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 251

Instead of remodeling, you can first try getting a bathtub transfer bench. It's a bench that extends beyond the tub. Person can sit on the bench while still outside the tub. Then move his legs, one at a time, into the tub. Person then slides his butt on the inside-tub part of the bench. This helps avoids having to step inside, outside the tub which is one point where seniors often have accidents.

Your father then has the option to either stand up or sit to shower. You'll need a handheld shower attachment (with bracket low on the wall) for the sit-down shower.

Here's what it looks like: http://homeability.com/bathtub-bench-guide/

Here's a video demo on how to use it =

If your father likes it and is comfortable with using it, you can stick to just having the bench instead of remodeling your bathroom right now.

Also install grab bars.

If you were in Canada, you'd be able to borrow the bath transfer bench to try it out. The Canadian Red Cross has a Health Equipment Loan program that loans out these equipment for free (actually, by donation) on a short-term basis. If you're here in the US, there might be medical supply stores that allow trying out before buying.
Nik333 likes this.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,346

The above seat is a good idea.....

But if that doesn't work.....and you have a cast iron tub.....

Issue ear plugs to everyone in the house.....

Put on safety glasses....
Grab a sledge hammer......swing hard....real hard. 2-3 good 'taps' should do it....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,294

Some considerations:

Is someone around when he bathes, to help him? Will he let anyone help him when he bathes? Can your father lift his legs high enough to go over the tub sides & thus use the bench in the tub? It sounds like this may be an issue.

Even with a shower, he may need a shower bench or a shower chair, a great invention.

There is also assistance from the govt, possibly, with the tub change or help with ADL's (Activities of Daily Living) But, that depends on where you live.

Also, does he have any issue with dizziness while standing?

It's nice that you care about him.

Last edited by Nik333; 04-11-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,642

Those things work well.

My father in law had a stroke and lived with us for months during the rehab. He was a trooper but the seat came in real handy and they are sturdy.
Nik333 likes this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement