Removal Of Metal Shower Drain From Above - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Removal of Metal Shower Drain From Above

Our second floor shower is leaking and we have discovered the cause: cracking in the rusted out shower drain. I have ordered a Wingtite shower drain as a replacement, but must first remove the existing metal shower drain.

I do not have a fancy power saw to cut through the metal drain to remove it in pieces from the shower floor. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to remove the metal drain without damaging the PVC pipe it surrounds?

I have tried / am trying to chip away at the silicon sealant around the outside of the metal drain with the hopes of just popping it out at some point. But before I do too much damage to the shower floor and/or the metal drain, I wanted to ask for some advice on how to best remove the drain and to find out if anyone has had any experience doing this. I have included two pictures of the shower drain from above.

The pictures don't show it, but there is about 3/4" between the top lip of the metal drain and the top lip of the PVC pipe.
jreddiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Re: Removal of Metal Shower Drain From Above

Picture 1: https://goo.gl/photos/wkzReVP5yDWV9tCPA

Picture 2: https://goo.gl/photos/ck27L4AEWtSD9yeS9
jreddiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 38

Re: Removal of Metal Shower Drain From Above

Drain must be removed from the bottom and the new drain installed from the bottom. If that is a problem you have to do it anyway.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement