Removable Kitchen - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By CodeMatters
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By Oso954
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 02-25-2018, 07:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 162

Removable Kitchen

I've gut renovated a house upstate NY and need help deciding what if any kind of kitchen to install. My kitchen area has a new floor, new brick walls, new gray paint but no no kitchen cabinets, countertop, stove, etc. I've basically been camping there weekends and using a Coleman stove and microwave while I work on the house. I do have a huge LG fridge.

Virtually every "DIY" kitchen I view on the web looks like Paul Manfort's 23,000 sq ft East Hampton getaway, or else some hideous Home Depot type kitchen with fluted molding and display cabinets galore. I hate this suburban style. Even the industrial style kitchens I see online are "luxury industrial" with 20ft high glass walls overlooking the Caribbean lol.

To get around this a friend advised me to set up a kitchen that is entirely removable, for example 1-2 base cabinets, Coleman with propane tank, steel sink, fridge, simple clean countertop. This would obviously turn off some buyers but possibly be attractive to those that wish to customize anyway. I absolutely know my own style would not appeal to most homebuyers, I'm the guy who puts my forks and spoons in a Husky tool chest, nuff said.

Ideas, opinions?

Last edited by arcticranger; 02-25-2018 at 07:32 AM.
arcticranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,624

Re: Removable Kitchen

Removable?? What will you do with your plumbing and electrical? They are pretty much fixed.
Bondo, MTN REMODEL LLC and mark sr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Removable?? What will you do with your plumbing and electrical? They are pretty much fixed.

Sink would be fixed of course, both walls of kitchen area have 110 and 220 outlets so anything electric is moveable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,370

I've heard that some foreign countries it's common practice to have cabinet 'furniture' that follows the owners from house to house. Unless that is common where you live I think you'd be better off installing traditional cabinets.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,498

Garage cabinets!
And what makes them tool/garage cabinets other than where you put
them?
Attached Thumbnails
Removable Kitchen-garagecabinets.jpg  
mark sr likes this.
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMatters View Post
Garage cabinets!
And what makes them tool/garage cabinets other than where you put
them?
yep now we're talkin'

I love the look plus they are more durable and functional than most wooden cabinets. I have 2 Huskys already and am thinking of buying a 46" one as my main base cabinet. A plywood countertop sheathed in stainless steel over those could be sharp.

I frequently see people raving about how good these are as islands but never as base cabinets. Is it lack of imagination or fear of bank appraisers?
Old 02-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,028

Perhaps I'm missing the point. Are you trying to give it just basic functionality for sale and let the new owner determine their own kitchen needs. Not great sales marketing unless the asking price matches a some-assembly-required presentation.

If it is for your own use, Ikea has some good stuff. You might have some problems with final inspection (i.e. any place counters go can/go would have to have appropriate receptacles, stove venting, etc.) and perhaps an insurance inspection (Coleman propane? - like as it a camping stove?).
Bondo likes this.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Are you trying to give it just basic functionality for sale and let the new owner determine their own kitchen needs.
That's what I posted originally but the more I read I see there's a trend toward kitchens that mix kitchen / office / living functionality. So I think I can satisfy both myself and some trend aware buyers, if it's done well.

And what's the difference between this 9 drawer cabinet and a finished 9 drawer wooden one from HD or Ikea?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...946R/206839475

Last edited by arcticranger; 02-26-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
Usually Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticranger View Post
That's what I posted originally but the more I read I see there's a trend toward kitchens that mix kitchen / office / living functionality. So I think I can satisfy both myself and some trend aware buyers, if it's done well.

And what's the difference between this 9 drawer cabinet and a finished 9 drawer wooden one from HD or Ikea?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...946R/206839475
Well, when it comes to providing input on anything trendy, I'm afraid I'll have to bow out.

As for the Husky cabinet, in terms of simple functionality, the shallow drawers might not be that suitable for kitchen use beyond cutlery (and how many of those do you need) and the deep drawers might not be big enough for pots, etc. In terms of marketability, my view is you would be targeting, at best, a single male buyer, and only a segment of that market at best.

Heck, my first rental as a single guy had an aluminum folding picnic table screwed to the wall as a kitchen table and a water bed frame made from 2x10s and L-brackets, but that decor matched the house and the rent. Tool box kitchens scream either starter or college rez.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
the shallow drawers might not be that suitable for kitchen use beyond cutlery and the deep drawers might not be big enough for pots, etc. Tool box kitchens scream either starter or college rez.
yea I spent 4 hours at HD last night comparing depths, heights and widths of traditional wood drawers and Huskys. Surprised at how many 2.5" height most wooden kitchen drawers have, and how flimsy the frameless ones are.

The smaller Husky drawers I posted are even shallower, so that unit is out. Found one with these drawer dimensions which seem way more functional.

top drawer: 47.6 in. W x 17.1 in. D x 3.9 in. H;

3 small left drawers: 13.5W x 17D x 3.8H

1 large left drawer: 13.W x 17D x 12.7H

3 small right drawers: 31W x 17D x 3.8H;

1 large right drawer: 31.3W x 17D x 12.7H

Combined with another that has five 7" height drawers and 3-4 wall cabinets that's pretty good storage. The aluminum table sounds great by the way. And women are hipper to new design trends than you seem to think.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,790

The question is, how soon are you selling ?

If in the near future, Iíd go with a more traditional kitchen. Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses. Unless you are in a real hot market where everything sells, you do not want to eliminate a large group of potential buyers.

A buyer that doesnít like your kitchen is going to place a zero value on the cabinets and appliances at best. They may even place a negative value on it.

Be careful about chasing trends. If you are not an insider to whatís happening, some of the trends are actually over by the time you hear about them.

A bad kitchen can be a deal killer for a lot of women. You can have a guy totally in love with your man cave approach. If the wife puts a thumbs down on it, you usually lose the sale.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #12
Usually Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticranger View Post

. . .

Combined with another that has five 7" height drawers and 3-4 wall cabinets that's pretty good storage. The aluminum table sounds great by the way. And women are hipper to new design trends than you seem to think.
I didn't think I was following any trend - just a single guy starting out on a starting out type income. If tool box kitchens on wheels with a camp stove are a current trend, I must have missed that.
mark sr likes this.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #13

Quote:
If tool box kitchens on wheels with a camp stove are a current trend, I must have missed that.
yep you missed it
Old 02-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
A bad kitchen can be a deal killer for a lot of women. You can have a guy totally in love with your man cave approach. If the wife puts a thumbs down on it, you usually lose the sale.
It's a risk but many of the buyers around here are artsy types who grew up in factory lofts or imitations thereof. Most of the advice here seems more appropriate for a suburban demographic but it's still helpful. At any rate I will post pics once it's taking shape and see what you folks think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
industrial , kitchen