Reframing An Existing Wall With Plumbing - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 PM  

Reframing an existing wall with plumbing

A question I think I know the answer too and I'm just looking for confirmation. We need to reframe a wall (not load bearing) shared between the bathroom and laundry room. This wall has a vent pipe and all the water lines for shower/toilet/vanity. Do I have a plumber come in and remove all the piping and cap it off, remove poorly framed wall, reframe wall correctly and then have the plumber come back in to rerun new plumbing? The plumbing also needs to be replaced regardless of the walls condition. Am I on the right track?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 01:05 AM  

Rewards Points: 6,652

It needs to be a 2x6 or 2x8 wall. That way you have enough "meat" on the bottom & top plates, when you put in the drain lines for the laundry & shower, toilet & sink.

If you have a basement, you need to place another joist on the other side of the DWV where it goes through. That way you have enough support, if you have to cut one of the joists to install the tub or shower drain.

When they built our house, they put the two joists around 6" apart. That way the tub drain trap can set properly just below the sub-floor. I have a picture somewhere in my history, that shows how they did my joists. I may also have one somewhere showing the Cast Iron riser for the main house vent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 07:41 AM  

Rewards Points: 17,890

Post a picture of this wall when you can.
What type plumbing is it your dealing with?
Slab, crawl space, basement?
What's wrong with the way the walls framed now?
There may be an easier way to do this.
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 07:51 AM  
Plumber

Rewards Points: 706

If the plumbing needs replaced, I'd remove it first- then frame. Also, ask the plumber if your proposed stud layout works with the new plumbing work.
He can then drill through the new studs
Old 07-13-2015, 08:36 AM  

Rewards Points: 173

If the plumbing all runs vertically then it should be pretty simple. If any pipes run through the studs horizontally then things will get a little trickier.

If all the plumbing is going to be replaced anyways, just rip it out, rebuild your wall, then install the new plumbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement