Redesign The Kitchen - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2018, 12:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Redesign the kitchen

Hey guys, I am designing my home right now and I am having doubts about the layout of the first floor. Particularly the kitchen and the second set of stairs by the garage... let me know what you think and if there is anything else I can do to make it better.

So upstairs we have a library office and 4 bedrooms and a family room. On the side of the house detached we have a 2 car garage and guest house. So I want ask about our kitchen design, should I make the dining room or living room more bigger. Does the design from the entry and the two staircase look nice. Do you like the stand alone pantry. Also, what you think is the bar is not a bar its just a counter with some cupboards to put extra stuff. I dont know how I feel about that we just had extra space.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Redesign the kitchen-plan-1r-page-001.jpg  
mrstealyourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
Architect/DIYer

Rewards Points: 88

Re: Redesign the kitchen

Ok first Of all..... man you're asking way too much at the same time. So I'm gonna keep it as simple as possible. First is the "garage stair" the one i have in the red? if so how high up does it go. As for your design concerns, only you can decide on what looks "better" you can replan your house a thousand times with a thousand opinions. Just... form follows functions. if anythings feels off or in the wrong place thats because it probably is. So ask yourself does this function they way i want it to? then, does it impede any sort of circulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Redesign the kitchen-floorplan-stairs-diy-chatroom-.jpg  
Hamad A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Architect/DIYer

Rewards Points: 88

Re: Redesign the kitchen

whats in the smaller rectangle? is this a shared shower between those two guest rooms? and a double door dorm room situation?? If so then it completely contradict the grand staircase and the foyer.

The larger rectangle - This can and should all be altered or kept depending on some factors:
1. did and architect design this?
2. if so ignore all the other points and get back to him.

3. if its just you and theres no architect involved then yes i would suggest a restructuring of the space.

- The grand staircase lands onto the edge f a bar. very disconnected from the kitchen. the kitchen itself depends on many things.

remember form follows function? alright so theres several graphic standards that refer to what i call the kitchen function triangle
here's a link https://www.dominicavibes.dm/columns-212553/ to an article with some images.

once the standards are met, go for the next item: views. do i want to capture views for my kitchen? is the kitchen and dining / lounging space all integrated?

Will it serve the purpose of entertainment or be more on the private side. You have windows. whats the view?, where do they face? are any openable?....

As an overall summary i think you should have the grand stair land onto a landing. an actual celebrated area/mini lobby... even if aknowledged just by a piece of furniture.

and then based on what i said previously you can decide to do what you like cheers good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Redesign the kitchen-floorplan-stairs-diy-chatroom2.jpg  
Hamad A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement