Red Guard Over Hardibacker For Pond Project - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 616

Red Guard over Hardibacker for Pond Project

I'm building a water feature and pond and considering using hardibacker for the upper basin (see pics). The upper basin is just a 4 inch reservoir that accepts water from the aluminum fountain runnels and channels it down over the two open edges into the main pond.

I believe that the hardibacker is not waterproof by itself - it is water and moisture "resistant" if I understand correctly, but not waterproof. I understand that I can use Red Guard (or similar paint on membrane) to make the hardibacker (and tape seamed joints) waterproof.

Anyone see any issues with this approach? Also, the upper basin will be filled with mexican beach pebbles so I'm not expecting the Red color of the Red Guard to be visible. However, I'm sure there may be areas at the top where it could be. Can you apply paint color over top of the Red Guard?

In the pics below, the area where I'm considering lining with hardibacker is the upper basin area where the fountain blocks are sitting. The square pavers are sitting 4 inches higher than the basin (although it's difficult to tell in the pics):

Last edited by homeimproverjoe; 06-12-2017 at 04:32 PM.
homeimproverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,602

Re: Red Guard over Hardibacker for Pond Project

Have you figured a plan on attaching the hardiebacker? CBU is not water resistant and definitely not waterproof. It is just concrete like materials compressed into slabs and reinforced with mesh. RedGard is an excellent waterproofer, I really don't see why the pond can't be lined with a normal pond liner. I'd hate to see that red exposed under my water feature.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
homeimproverjoe (06-12-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. The hardibacker would be adhered to the concrete blocks that form the top edge of the upper basin and to the 4 inch cap blocks that form the back sides. There is compacted #89 crushed gravel under that.

I agree on the red color showing through. It would be a showstopper if it couldn't be painted gray to blend in with the rocks that will fill the basin.

I could and still may, use rubber liner for this. I'm just considering the hardibacker because I know I would get clean lines and edges and wouldn't have to deal with origami folds to make the liner conform to the hard lines of the design. Maybe rubber liner can be folded easily and will hold its shape with tape or epoxy. I just don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #4

Here are a few paper mockups I did to show the folds needed for the 2 basins. It would involve 2 rubber liners, one for the upper basin which would overlap the rubber liner in the main basin (where they meet at the 2 waterfall edges along the upper basin)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement