Re-Tile Over Shower Floor Tiles? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 95

Re-Tile Over Shower Floor Tiles?

I've read articles online in which it's acceptable to re-tile over shower floor tiles. Some recommendations included etching the existing tile using an angle grinder + cupped diamond grinding disk so that the thinset will adhere better. The existing floor tiles are one inch squares: but, may be part of a larger piece..it's hard to tell visually. The shower floor tiles are very solid as well as the wall tiles and there doesn't seem to be any issues other than the shower floor should have better drainage/slope from the front (taps) to the drain (middle of floor).

Is it possible to use layers of newly sloped thinset or levelling compound or Redguard over the existing tiles where needed (to improve drainage) and then tile over?
I'm aware of drain extensions to accommodate a re-tile.

Last edited by Fishbone90; 01-11-2018 at 04:05 AM.
Fishbone90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Re-Tile Over Shower Floor Tiles?

A really good tile guy maybe able to do it but I certainly wouldn't attempt it.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

Your best bet would be to remove the tiles and re slope the bed. You could probably coat the existing tiles with red guard and then mortar and the tiles would stick but the problem comes with drainage. There is--or at least should be-- a membrane under the sloped bed that allows any water that gets past the tiles and grout to run to the drain instead of remaining in the bed to weaken it. By tiling over tile, you are hindering this process.

Sent from my mobile look-at device
w0j0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 95

Thanks and sorry for the late reply.
I was pretty sure replies would say remove and replace. The condo we live in was built in 1985 so I'm not sure if there's was a vinyl or pvc waterproofing membrane used?

Seems like the builder back then could have pitched it down a bit more. Asthetically it looks fine other than mold tends grow there fairly quickly even though we squeagy it to the drain.
Another issue that lends itself to the mold growth is the sliding shower doors that were installed years ago. I tried to remove the track but a lot ofcauliking was used behind the tracking> i can't get to it with a utility knife and it feels like I'm going to break the tiles trying to lift the tracking. Any suggestions?
Fishbone90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 114

I've done that. It was a 3x4 shower, one and one half inch tiles set over a concrete pan, in a rental. The install was maybe 40 years old, and no tiles were loose. I scored the heck out of them with a grinder with a diamond blade, especially in the joints. Cleaned them up, then red-guarded the pan. I set new mosaic tiles in a high-grade thinset, also ran the mosaic tile up the wall several inches, capped with a Schlueter edge. The existing wall tiles stayed. (It was not a high-end install in the first place.) Then, grout as usual. Anyway, that was 5 years ago, it's still in great shape.
RickMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 20

Apparently, I need to do the same thing. Original contractor who started my bathroom remodel eight months ago... Yes, 8 months ago! ... didn't pitch the shower floor correctly and there are some big dips in it that puddles shower water. Water eventually seeps down through the grout and weep holes are clogged. New tile guy says the most cost effective (and workable) fix is to tile over the bad tile. He plans to red guard the old tile and then put his mortar down with a proper pitch and place new tile on it. He will have to put in a drain extender as the floor will be higher and of course unclog the weep holes.

w0j0 up above says that there could be a problem with drainage with this method. My tile guy says no, not if done correctly like he plans to do.

Thoughts?
real_cozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 114

It's not standard by any means, but after remodeling for 45 years I've learned it helps to be creative once in a while! An experienced tile setter should be able to handle the drain/tile interface.
RickMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement