Range Hood Venting Options - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch

Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Range hood venting options

I'm a frequent reader but first time poster. I haven't been able to come up with a conclusion based on my research so I'm reaching out for some opinions. We have a basement apartment where we are replacing the range hood. The old hood was vented to the outside using 4" flex duct.

Because of the space being in a basement there are a lot of restrictions such as ceiling height, limited space in the overhead joists, cinderblock walls, etc that limit our venting options without having to do major demo. We might be able to use 5" round duct but even that might not be feasible. The total run is about a foot vertically between the floor joists and an existing dryer vent run, and then horizontally for maybe 2.5 feet.

The options I've come up with are (none of which are ideal):

1) Transition to 4" rigid duct which would drastically reduce the efficiency of the fan

2) Use 5" semi rigid (the bends that the ductwork need to make would be impossible with 5" rigid but the semi rigid would probably work). This might even be against code, I'm not sure. I know the folds in the semi rigid collect grease.

3) Not vent the system at all and just recirculate
ncsuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Range hood venting options

Your run is quite short. If you are currently running 4" flex, I'm curious why you would think 4" rigid would reduce the flow. Rigid will allow better flow than flex (assuming metal flex - I would not use plastic flex). If you have the space, you could use rigid rectangular with transitions at both ends.

In my opinion, recirculation is less than ideal, especially in a basement setting.
Windows on Wash likes this.

Last edited by lenaitch; 02-24-2017 at 09:28 PM.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Range hood venting options

In my experience, because of Code, the flexi duct is not the right product to use.
It can accumulate grease and present a fire hazard.

I am not aware of a "semi rigid" duct. Can you post a link for that, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ductwork , fan , range hood , vent , venting