Range Hood Installation Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 866

Range Hood installation question

Yesterday, a new range hood was installed and at the time I asked the istallers about two things they were doing. They told me what they did was fine, but I wonder.

1. The first is mating the hood to the duct dropping down just about a foor out of a soffit. Another sub of my general contractor installed the ducting through the soffit and enclosed the end of the 90 degree elbow at the same time.

The piece of rigid 7" that the installer cut to insert into the 90 wouldn't slide in. At least I think that was the problem. So at one end it barely inserts into the 90 and at the other it misses by about 1/4". So the guy uses the shiny metal tape and just tapes things up.

Is that tape going to hold or is it only designed to seal tight joints where a section of ducting is properly inserted into the other? If it makes much difference, it is a moderately high volume hood (750 CFM).

2. The other issue is that I have two gravity flappers; the butterfly on top in the range and the one in the wall cap. I told the installer I understood from what I knew about another manufacturer's range hood that you should use one or the other, but not both. He said using both was better. Today I look at the installation instructions for this particular hood and in bold it says to use one or the other.

Should I make this guy come out and correct either or both? This is the last item of a kitchen remodel that has been hell and a final inspection is scheduled in a couple of working days.
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,896

The pipes need to slide in place, no gaps, he should have used a crimper.
http://malcoproducts.com/product/hva...rimper-redline
Make them remove one of the flappers.
Klawman (10-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,654

More than likely it will not pass inspection, and be tagged .

So call the owner of the installation company and explain your problems.

If the owner is decent they will get it right.

ED

P.S. if the hood is not higher than the tallest person in your household there will be @#**^$(*^ words uttered every time that they pierce their scalp on it. I know because I have several scars on my scalp from living with one .

Last edited by de-nagorg; 10-16-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added PS
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Klawman (10-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #4

Joecaption, Actually, the end of the pipe was crimped. I don't know what the problem was for certain, but I think the duct coming down from the soffit was a inch or more off center and the range hood was centered. I will have a flapper removed.

de-nagorg, I will call my direct contractor and let them deal with the sub as the dc has asked me to take any issues to them. Especially as I asked this sub if what they were doing was a problem and they blew me off. That and with the inspector coming out Tuesday and I would like it to pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Klawman For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #5

I don't know if this version of this code is adopted in my jurisdiction, but it specifies at that the duct shall lap by at least 1". I have seen an earlier version of the same section that specifies 1-1/2".

"Crimp joints for round metallic ducts shall have a contact lap of not less than 1 inch (25.4 mm) and shall be mechanically fastened by means of not less than three sheet-metal screws or rivets equally spaced around the joint." 2012 IRC section M1601.4.1 Joints, seams and connections, quoted in part.

Last edited by Klawman; 10-18-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #6

The sub came out and apologized for the way the helper failed to lap the sections of duct. The problem was not that they wouldn't align but the section cut by the helper was to short. At the same time they removed the flapper from the hood.

He didn't lap the joint by 1" or 1-12", but more like a good 3".

Thanks for the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Klawman For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (10-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement