Raising Bulkhead - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 54

Raising bulkhead

Demoed the shower stall today and I want to raise the bulkhead. It appears the cavity above the shower goes directly into the attic as I took a broom handle and shoved it up much higher than the ceiling. I'm hoping I can do this without a lot of blown insulation falling down and I also am hoping not to have to go into the attic. Advice?
kripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 04:43 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

You will be a better man than me if you can do this without a trip to the attic---

There is no magic way to keep the insulation up there---I don't try any more---just pull it out--save it if it's clean or dump it.

Just thought why I don't try--I almost always add a new exhaust fan/light combination above the tub/shower--and use the open ceiling to access the attic for the wiring/duct work----then replace the insulation with R-38 faced batts---
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

Thanks, that was clear enough. Ah well at least it's not the dead of summer. That's a good tip about the fan, but I got that done last year. Another thing I could do is put a light in the shower.

So the only trip to the attic is to replace the insulation I removed at the end of it all, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Yes===do every thing you can from below--you could even staple up batts of insulation,if you wish--
Old 01-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #5

December got busy so I'm actually doing this tomorrow. I just read your reply and actually that is the idea my friend and I had -- put bats on top of a piece of plywood. Screw the plywood to the attic joists. Screw the piece of cement board to the plywood.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 144

Skip the plyoood.Get faced batts and staple them to the joists.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

No need to invent an overly complicated solution---dry wall is fine for the ceiling==and will hold tile ,if that is your intention.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #8

Thanks for the prompt replies, very helpful. I did not know about faced batts...that looks like a good solution. I'll do drywall then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement