Question About Kerdi Shower - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Guap0_

Old 12-12-2018, 07:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 138

Question about Kerdi shower

I'm building my first Kerdi shower in a house I'm currently renovating. I have the Kerdi panel walls up, and will soon be ready to put in the bench, pan, and curb (all Kerdi). The ceiling in the shower is 10 feet. It's just occurred to me that I won't be able to simple put any ladder or stool on top of the Kerdi pan to tile up high, as it would presumably damage it. What's the best option here? I assume there's a method people use in this situation; I've just never had to think about this.
JWindmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Question about Kerdi shower

I think that if you lay a piece of plywood over the shower pan first, there shouldn't be a problem.
firehawkmph and JWindmill like this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 168

what did you end up doing? I have been trying to get as much info on this install as possible because I am doing this for the first time in a few weeks time.

I have seen them use kerdi board that is like 2-3 in thick and mortar to build a bench then just water proof the seams and tile it as you would any other bench.
JPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters View Post
what did you end up doing? I have been trying to get as much info on this install as possible because I am doing this for the first time in a few weeks time.

I have seen them use kerdi board that is like 2-3 in thick and mortar to build a bench then just water proof the seams and tile it as you would any other bench.
I used a piece of plywood and stuck pieces of cardboard under it at the corners. My bench was a prefab Kerdi.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWindmill View Post
I used a piece of plywood and stuck pieces of cardboard under it at the corners. My bench was a prefab Kerdi.
do you have any pics of your kerdi build? I'm trying to do a soakertub, curbless shower, double sink, toilet and master closet in a 14x8 area.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #6

I don't have any pictures of the Kerdi before tile. Shower is in a tough spot to get much of a picture. I used Kedrdi board, bench, curb, niche, and pan. It was definitely a breeze compared to concrete and cement board. The peace of mind is nice too.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #7

did you do the kerdi on a wood sub floor? Do you have pics? I want to do the same thing. I want to add a bath tub to the kerdi curbless shower area. as well as heated floors.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,532

Putting plywood down isn't a great option if the plywood is thick, because even with cardboard it could dent the raised edges and corners of the pan. You could do a couple layers of something like luan. That way there is enough total thickness to protect, but each layer is actually thin enough to bend and conform to the shape of the pan without denting it.

However I avoid this problem by simply tiling the floor first. You would want to do this anyway because the wall tiles should overlap the edges of the floor tiles for the best look. Also, the floor tiles support the wall tiles (using a correct size tile spacer) to give the right grout joint size. This approach fixes all problems. Once the floor is hard, you can stand on it or put a step ladder on it.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #9

The plywood concerned me, so I checked on it a few times. Worked out well for me. I considered doing the floor first, but find it easier to do it last. Then the first row of tile after the floor.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #10

Quote:
I don't have any pictures of the Kerdi before tile. Shower is in a tough spot to get much of a picture. I used Kedrdi board, bench, curb, niche, and pan. It was definitely a breeze compared to concrete and cement board. The peace of mind is nice too.
what was the approximate cost for the kerdi materials?
Old 03-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
I considered doing the floor first, but find it easier to do it last. Then the first row of tile after the floor.

Not sure what you were trying to say, but this is basically an oxymoron
Old 03-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters View Post
what was the approximate cost for the kerdi materials?

A standard shower kit that contains all the parts you need is roughly $500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement