Quartz Countertop Installation - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM  

Rewards Points: 10

quartz countertop installation

I just had quartz countertops installed. The installer said my cabinets weren't level and placed wooden shims in to level out the countertop. In a few places I have 1/2 in. shims with a large gap between the countertop and my cabinets. It looks horrible. What should be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 PM  
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

The issue is with the general contractor who scheduled the countertops to be installed when the cabinets are not level and the cabinet installer that installed the cabinets. You could try to use a matching colored silicone caulking to fill the void. Use a backer rod where the gap is more than 1/4"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 PM  
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Anything you do to try to hide a half inch gap is going to look like you are trying to hide a half inch gap. You really should see if the cabinets can be leveled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 06:08 PM  
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Too Late to do anything now.

Install some narrow trim moldings (example: scotia or other) underneath the countertop (against the base cabinets) - that match the cabinet finish.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 PM  

Rewards Points: 10

I haven't paid the installer the full amount yet yet because he still has to put the countertop on the island. Also there is a desk area in the counters that is lower than the rest. The edge of the quartz that comes to that area comes just to the edge of the cabinet with no overhang ( and a 1/4 in.Gap between the cabinet and the counter. ) I have only talked to the installer and will be talking to the owner soon, what should I insist he do to fix this?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 PM  
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 504

Put a level on the island.Is that level?
If it is it can point you in the right direction as to whether it is truly the cabinets or the top.
A 1/2" is quite a bite to be off on base cabinets and the installer not see it.

As for how to tell him how to fix it,tell him exactly what you want and be SURE your both on the same page.

Last edited by sublime2; 03-31-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 AM  
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

This would be less of a problem if you had a more conventional overhang, for example my countertops overhang the cabinets by 1-1/4 inches, so the shims are not visible. The shims in my case are up to 3/8 inch thick, mostly they are less than 1/4 inch, which is pretty common in retrofit work, since the cabinets are hard to level perfectly, especially when they are already in place.

There is not much the countertop installer can do, if you specified non-overhang counters, and the cabinets were already in, they have to use shims to level the counter. As previously noted, this should have been coordinated by the GC between the cabinet install and the counter install. I suppose you could have everything removed, and the cabinets leveled from the bottom up, but someone is going to want to get paid to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement