Is This A Professional Tiling Job? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By kwikfishron
  • 1 Post By garwein
  • 2 Post By mark sr

Old 03-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 46

Is This A Professional Tiling Job?

I have been remodeling my bathroom, and have become short of time, so I hired someone to do the tiling, who has apparently being renovating bathrooms and tiling since 2004. He tiled today, and I came home to this, which I'm no expert, but I've NEVER seen tiling like this before. He switched the grout lines from 1/8, which we had discussed and I already bought a colored Unsanded grout for, to 3/16 or 1/4", which now requires Sanded grout in the those lines... but then there is lines all the niche that are either butted up tiles or 1/16" or 1/8" .

He has literally an excuse for every single thing I asked about with the tile job, and thinks it will look perfect when finally grouted. I also asked why all the lines were jagged and how he cut them, he said he only used nippers because its cold outside and he didn't want to run up and down the stairs.

Am I off base here, or is this the worst tile job in the history of tile jobs?

Do I let this guy finish, or do I tell him to remove it all and start over, or do I just tell him not to come back and not pay him the rest of the money?

I'm at a loss here....
Attached Thumbnails
Is This A Professional Tiling Job?-20180312_161115-large-.jpg   Is This A Professional Tiling Job?-20180312_162117-large-.jpg   Is This A Professional Tiling Job?-20180312_161108_001-large-.jpg   Is This A Professional Tiling Job?-20180312_162120-large-.jpg   Is This A Professional Tiling Job?-20180312_161111.jpg  

garwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,062

Re: Is This A Professional Tiling Job?

THE GOOD NEWS IS: It is not the worse tile job I have ever seen.

THE BAD NEWS IS: It was certainly in the running for that title.

Sorry, I'd really chase him off the job.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,432

The biggest thing I have issue with is the ragged cuts. Those could have had a neat edge sanded/filed on them to make it look nice.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

Do tilers ever change grout lines from non-existent, as shown in the 45 cuts around the niche, where they are literally butted up against each other, to a full 1/4 inch where the subway tiles go across?

To me, that will actually make the whole thing look 10 times worse once it's grouted, than it even looks now.

But then I think maybe I'm overreacting a little, I tend to have higher than normal expectations when it comes to finish work that is highly visible.

Is butted tile like that even acceptable for a tile job?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

umm - it has unique characters?

what color is grout; abstract could accentuate grout lines
matching grout color would be my choice to blend all together

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by garwein View Post
Do tilers ever change grout lines from non-existent, as shown in the 45 cuts around the nichethe correct answer is obviously yes, but I never seen it before.,where they are literally butted up against each other, to a full 1/4 inch where the subway tiles go across?

To me, that will actually make the whole thing look 10 times worse once it's grouted, than it even looks now.

But then I think maybe I'm overreacting a little,I don't think so... unless this is avery inexpensive rental and you got a heck of a give away price on it I tend to have higher than normal expectations when it comes to finish work that is highly visible.

Is butted tile like that even acceptable for a tile job?NO

Garwein.... Did he do the shower structure... did he do the pan.... were you there to inspect it....

My point would be, if he did the tile in that manner, maybe your shower substructure and pan have problems that you may need to discover now, rather than in two years.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #7

I just went back up, removed all the tile, and am now going to scrape them all off so that it can be reused.

He did not do any other work in the bathroom beyond taping a few drywall lines, and putting up a few sheets of backerboard that I didn't get to.

I just called him and told him not to come back also, which he didn't seem too shocked about and just said "Oh, good luck with that, bye" LOL.

Anyway, my reason for writing is to find out if the tile can be reused with some thinset on it. Can I knock the thinset down to a flatness with the tile. It will have a little thinset in the recessed squares on the back of the tile. OR, do I need to soak them all, and wire brush them clean?

He also only buttered the tiles, and only about 3/4 of the tile was buttered, no thinset on the walls at all, just tile. Is that normal for 4x12 subway tile?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 292

Sorry...I know this is not a helpful post but every time I see a thread such as this (and we get many of them here) the first thing that pops into my head is "craigslist" and/or "lowest bid".

Nobody ever admits to it but if this is the case then letting folks know may be of help to someone else down the road.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
I just went back up, removed all the tile, and am now going to scrape them all off so that it can be reused.

He did not do any other work in the bathroom beyond taping a few drywall lines, and putting up a few sheets of backerboard that I didn't get to.

I just called him and told him not to come back also, which he didn't seem too shocked about and just said "Oh, good luck with that, bye" LOL.

Anyway, my reason for writing is to find out if the tile can be reused with some thinset on it. Can I knock the thinset down to a flatness with the tile. It will have a little thinset in the recessed squares on the back of the tile. OR, do I need to soak them all, and wire brush them clean?

He also only buttered the tiles, and only about 3/4 of the tile was buttered, no thinset on the walls at all, just tile. Is that normal for 4x12 subway tile?
Not in the trades I have used... nor would I use.

I do all my own tiling, and my son's and my daughters. I always imbed the thinset well onto the substrate, then comb it, and I take the time to back butter swipe the tile to insure good adheasion.

The tilers I sub to will always apply the thinset to the substrate, but not always backbutter.

I think the theory is that the substrate requires better working into than the tile for good and thorough adhesion, while the tile is less demanding.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,746

You need a diamond saw with a fence to do that notch properly, or find another way that doesn't need a notch. Don't butt any joints, because then you can't get grout in there. Design is nice overall. Make sure the shelves have a slight slope so water drains. Do you think he did the structure behind the tiles properly so it won't leak?
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Sorry...I know this is not a helpful post but every time I see a thread such as this (and we get many of them here) the first thing that pops into my head is "craigslist" and/or "lowest bid".

Nobody ever admits to it but if this is the case then letting folks know may be of help to someone else down the road.
You are absolutely correct, I found the guy on Craigslist and I'm not afraid to admit it. I asked to see his work, etc. and he seemed honest. He did some other minor work in the bathroom where I left off, and it looked OK, not outstanding but it was decent. Vinyl floor and baseboard, and painting. He got to the tile, and it just looked like someone who had never tiled before. I suppose I could post on Craigslist for people to beware of working with him... What do you guys think?

I have had good luck with Craigslist in the past, and I know several excellent contractors who advertise on there to expand their marketing, but I do realize this kind of stuff can happen and you definitely take a chance, a much greater one than with a well established and reputable contractor.

The upshot is I actually found a tile guy who was having a slow week and offered to do the tiling this week. And it's looking MUCH better already! Here's a side by side of the difference. We changed the style a little and my wife found an accent mosaic.
Attached Thumbnails
Is This A Professional Tiling Job?-tile.jpg  
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.

Last edited by garwein; 03-14-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #12
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,432

The best advertising is word of mouth! Contractors that have a good reputation tend to stay busy. That said, an experienced tradesman that has just recently gone out on his own may need to use Craigslist and others until he gets established.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
You are absolutely correct, I found the guy on Craigslist and I'm not afraid to admit it. I asked to see his work, etc. and he seemed honest. He did some other minor work in the bathroom where I left off, and it looked OK, not outstanding but it was decent. Vinyl floor and baseboard, and painting. He got to the tile, and it just looked like someone who had never tiled before. I suppose I could post on Craigslist for people to beware of working with him... What do you guys think?

I have had good luck with Craigslist in the past, and I know several excellent contractors who advertise on there to expand their marketing, but I do realize this kind of stuff can happen and you definitely take a chance, a much greater one than with a well established and reputable contractor.

The upshot is I actually found a tile guy who was having a slow week and offered to do the tiling this week. And it's looking MUCH better already! Here's a side by side of the difference. We changed the style a little and my wife found an accent mosaic.
Garwen..... Good for you.... and thanks for the update...

And, it's all just subjective aesthetic tastes.... but I like your new tile... so maybe everything happened for a good reason/result.
Advertisement