Preparing My Bathroom Wall For Tile - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Preparing my Bathroom Wall for Tile

First time homeowner here.

The bathroom wall in the home I bought had some crappy tileboard covering the bottom half of the wall. I pulled it off and realized that the wall had been tiled before. Instead of properly scraping off the old Tile adhesive, they just covered it with the crappy tileboard.

I want to redo this wall, preferably by tiling the bottom half. My question is, do I need to completely scrape all of the old adhesive off before I can put something new over it? I have scraped off a section of it, and it is pretty time consuming, and some of it does not come off that well. I have seen mention of something called skinning the wall, where you could cover it with something instead of removing it all, but I do not know about that.

If I do need to remove all the old tile adhesive, do you have any recommendations for something to help with that? Home depot does not have any tile adhesive remover(which surprised me) and the ones online seem to have varied reviews.

Also would you recommend patching all of the small holes where the old tileboard was riveted into the walls before tiling? Or would the tiles just cover that with no issue.
Pictures below, any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Preparing my Bathroom Wall for Tile-20170726_214114.jpg   Preparing my Bathroom Wall for Tile-20170726_214119.jpg  
Bones032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

Re: Preparing my Bathroom Wall for Tile

I do not have the time to with it mess it.
I'd would have just cut it at the glue line and installed new tile board or at least purple board if it's not in a wet area.
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,308

Duplicate of http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/first...estion-528121/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 26

Yes I need to delete that other thread, I did not know about this sub forum with Bathrooms/Kitchens. But thank you for the response over on the other thread Chandler.

How do I delete that other post? Cannot seem to find it.
Bones032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,308

Just leave it. It may be the moderators will merge the threads so we can see it all. Not a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement