Post Formed Countertop Damage? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 43

Post Formed Countertop damage?

I installed 85% of my new kitchen by myself. Did not use expensive materials just wanted it updated. Work and other issues got in the way so I hired someone to do the remaining work. I decided to go with some post formed laminate countertops from homedepot. I cut them to a perfect fit with no chips using a circular saw. I just needed the 45 degree angle glued and sealed. Bought the kit with the bolts and glue.
when I checked in on the work that the person was doing I saw he did not use the glue to connect them. He just used the bolts. He then mixed the glue into a slush powder and used that to fill in the seam. It looks pretty good but is that safe from water spills? And do you think it will hold up with just the bolts holding it together?
Second and this really angered me is that when he tried to screw the countertop to the cabinet he used a screw that is too long. It did not come through the laminate but it did push it up and leave a crack. I've included a picture. It is about 3/8 x 3/8 of an inch.
What would you guys do in this situation? I was thinking of buying a low viscosity glue to pour over it. Maybe some of the glue would seep into the crack and prevent it from chipping off. It was not a company that did the job, just a local handyman that was recommended by a neighbor Should I ask him to replace it and install it?
Thanks for any advice in advanced,
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Post Formed Countertop damage?-img_0530.jpg  
jasesun23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

For the seam, I would have loosened the bolts and glued it properly. If this is a flakeboard core top any moisture will damage the top.
The handyman would pay to replace the top, but he would not do any more work.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Yow that is not at all acceptable and should be replaced by the guy that did the damage. Too bad, it's an expensive lesson to learn (for him) but the guy really should have known better. I too would have glued the seam thoroughly before putting the pieces together. The glue would have purged out the top and any purging would have been cleaned up thereby sealing the joint.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I'm am not too happy with it. So you guys are in agreement that he should at least pay for a new countertop? I would think all I would need is the right piece. its a 6 foot piece from home depot for $68 dollars. Since he only brushed a tiny amount of glue into the top of the seam I think it will come apart easily. Might have to use a razor just to loosen it up.
What if removing the right side of the counter top the left one chips at the seam. Is he responsible for the 10 foot left piece now?
Do you think he is responsible for any of the labor involved? Removing the old one, cutting the new one, installing the new one? I usually do stuff myself so when I talk to him I'm not sure what to tell him I expect.
He charged me $600 for the tiling of the back splash, cutting and connecting the trim molding, cutting and putting on the toe kicks, changing 4 sockets, and some other minor things.

Last edited by jasesun23; 11-17-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: picture not attached
Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

His price sounds quite fair--that's not the issue here----

He sold you a service done in a professional manner---He did not deliver that---He must deliver what he sold and at the price you both agreed upon---

He buys new top section--he installs it correctly---at the price you both agreed on before the screw up----
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

The additional labor is, as well as the replacement cost of the one section of top "on him". If he damages the larger piece removing the original damaged piece then that cost is also his as well as the added additional labor to remove and replace piece number two, if additional damage occurs.

So...he is paid the original agreed upon amount and no more. He pays to replace the damaged piece and any subsequent damage he may cause in the process.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 582

agree with mike and bud...he sold you a job for a price.ITS SUPPOSE TO BE RIGHT ITS NOT...should be on him to correct defects.....and he should have insurance...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I agree with everything that was said but I just wanted to be sure I'm not being unreasonable. I will call him tomorrow and see what happens. As soon as this is fixed I think the kitchen came out fairly well. New dishwasher eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Post Formed Countertop damage?-img_0537.jpg  
Old 11-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 582

looks like it came out very nice hope you get issues resolved,,,,Ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-18-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

I agree, countertop installation (especially laminate) does not leave any room for error! the kitchen looks nice did you get it resolved with him?
CountertopGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #11

Unfortunately not. I have contacted him and he is giving me the run around. I also noticed when I was returning unused material that he did not use the sealer on the tiles on the wall. I asked him about this and he said he thought I was going to do it since you had to wait 2 days before applying it. He has said he would come by and look at the countertop and also seal the grout. He has been a no show twice.
It goes without saying that he does not care about the job he is doing and I will never use his services again. But I would like for him to fix this job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement