Partial Remodel Kitchen - What Comes First? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Partial Remodel Kitchen - what comes first?

Had some water damage on kitchen floor...decided to make some changes. New dishwasher/slide-in or free standing stove/built-in micro/fridge. Want granite counter tops with undermount sink. New kitchen lighting. Keep existing cabinets...need new flooring...going from nice vinyl to either wood or ceramic type flooring which will raise the height of flooring I imagine. Question - what are the steps in this process? Is there a specific type of contractor I look for? I really appreciate some advice and help!
sallygump50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Foremost, make a plan to make sure what you want will fit in the space alloted. I assume the DW is replacing an existing cabinet, or replacing an existing DW?? That requires 24" for a standard DW. Slide in ranges need a specific space, depending on what you pick, 30" is the usual. Proper power for the range?? Gas, electric??

Granite requires a perfectly flat and level cabinet installation. do you have that?? And cabinets need to be able to support the weight, usually not an issue.

Ceramic tile requires a very rigid floor, normally at least 1 1/2" thick, so that will raise the floor level. Engineered or laminate flooring , not so much of an issue.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
sallygump50 (05-11-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Definitely make a plan and in fact measure your kitchen and commit it to a real scaled floorplan. Sweet Home 3D is great free open source software for doing floorplans.

Having a floorplan will cause you to think differently and even though you would not build from Sweet Home 3D printouts it is accurate enough you will have a discussion point to talk with some kitchen companies. And I would. The box stores all have kitchen design people but go to a real kitchen place as they will also have real contractor resources not just out of work subs.

Make yourself an unedited wish list of what you would like in your new kitchen, even if you are phasing it.

As mentioned, if you are going from vinyl flooring to just about anything else you will be raising the floor and if you want stone counters you will have to have level countertops. Are your cabinets of good quality and worth rescuing? You can always refinish and/or reface them if they are.

I happen to have worked on antique homes for the most part so they had wood and tile floors in kitchens. It is too bad people have been subjected to only crappy vinyl flooring because some of it can be quite nice and it is still a great kitchen floor material. And then there is congoleum and cork, etc.

Explore. I fear stone countertops are becoming passe. Look at some things like Verrazo made of recycled bottles and concrete. Beautiful colors and you get green credits. Bamboo flooring is great in kitchens (but you have the problem even with the engineered stuff of raising the floor). Solid glass countertops can be spectacular for that matter. You can get concrete countertops in any color with sinks molded right into them. Again green credits.

Lighting is changing too. LEDs are getting brighter and cheaper.

You mentioned gas or electric range and oven. If you think about it our concept of a refrigerator dates back to the old ice boxes and is pretty stupid? Why open an 800,000 cubic foot thing to grab a can of soda? Why not distribute refrigeration with smaller units. Put the meat and vege frig units in drawers near the sink and cutting board? Have a separate small one for beverages? Etc.

Of course at some point you need to decide what you have in mind budget wise for each phase and overall. As a practical matter, even in this depressed re market you will get---within reason---what you put in a kitchen out of it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Remember to upgrade the electric before the granite and appliances are installed--microwave requires a dedicated circuit--dishwasher and fridge,too.

Wiring for under cabinet lighting?

Adding height to the cabinets is often needed--a 3/4" strip of wood stained to match the cabinets is often placed on top of the cabinets.

Check the height of the fridge opening---
Old 05-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #5

You guys have some great ideas!

Cabinets are solid oak and look brand new - but with that said I do not like the color of stain - too golden for my taste. Has a very nice finish on them- still don't like the color. No need to rework the cabinets. Currently have built in micro wave above slide in electric stove. Have built-in DW. Nice opening for fridge. Current under counter lighting has some kind of problem. It is Zenon or something like that. Somtimes it works and sometimes it just goes off.

Was thinking on flooring - has anyone had luck with the nice individual tiles? Small kitchen so need to keep that in mind. I have not shoped flooring yet.

Live in Tennessee Valley in North Alabama. Thanks again!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

Ceramic tile is a good choice for a kitchen---often larger tiles will make a small space look larger---look in books and magazines for ideas.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallygump50 View Post
Had some water damage on kitchen floor...decided to make some changes. New dishwasher/slide-in or free standing stove/built-in micro/fridge. Want granite counter tops with undermount sink. New kitchen lighting. Keep existing cabinets...need new flooring...going from nice vinyl to either wood or ceramic type flooring which will raise the height of flooring I imagine. Question - what are the steps in this process? Is there a specific type of contractor I look for? I really appreciate some advice and help!
Do it yourself what you can, and if you think that the flooring will look better to have a good contractor do it, especially if you are not comfortable with the tools involved, interview at least three and go with the best pricing, not cheapest.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #8

Do you put the flooring down first..then put appliances on top of flooring? We have a beautiful wooden flooring from DR up to kitchen door. Have considered wood - not sure how practical but know it would look great.

Appliances - will be all new stainless - hopefully find stainless that is not too
shiny in order to avoid so many finger prints.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

Flooring should be installed under the appliances,including the dish washer--check the height from floor to the underside of the counter top--often a wood strip is needed to raise the new counter tops to the proper 34 1/5 inch height.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallygump50 View Post
Do you put the flooring down first..then put appliances on top of flooring? We have a beautiful wooden flooring from DR up to kitchen door. Have considered wood - not sure how practical but know it would look great.

Appliances - will be all new stainless - hopefully find stainless that is not too
shiny in order to avoid so many finger prints.

Thanks everyone!
I have a small kitchen and we did the 3/4 solid hard wood in 5" width. The floors were the last thing I did, but I did put them under all appliances.
JohninSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement