Painting Over Redgard & Redgard Over HardieBacker - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2018, 01:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 39

Painting Over Redgard & Redgard Over HardieBacker

It would seem that RedGard should be applied directly over the HardieBacker in the WET areas of the shower as the main goal.

It seems the no no's with RedGard are the following (but feel free to comment if you like):
  • Don't apply joint compound over RedGard directly.
  • Don't paint over RedGard directly.
  • Don't apply RedGard over Sheetrock/Drywall at all.
However, what to do with the Hardiebacker in cases where it extends quite a bit past the shower edges ? There's a point where the HardieBacker will stick out of the tile area, unless I cut it exactly to end where the tile ends which may be hard to exactly account for.

Assuming the Hardiebacker extends out of the tile area a whole 1 foot or so, could I take the following steps:
  1. Simply Redgard ALL the HardieBacker including the part that extends out of the tile area up until it meets the Sheetrock/Drywall? This ensures the entire shower area will be water sealed (which potentially could be anywhere over the HardieBacker area). So, why not just RedGard ALL the HardieBacker to get it out of the way.
  2. Prime over the Redgard with a paint primer those portions where I will paint on the outset of the tile area.
  3. Skim coat over the paint primer to even the surface (skim coating flush the transitions between Sheetrock and HardieBacker).
  4. Once again, paint primer over the skim coat area that will be painted.
  5. Finally, paint over the paint primer the final coat of paint.

Thoughts?

JasonCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 05:15 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,624

Re: Painting Over Redgard & Redgard Over HardieBacker

Why not do it right and end your hardiebacker at the edge of the enclosure? I see no need to extend it out into the room, thereby eliminating the need to try and blend it with sheetrock. If sheetrock extends an inch or so into the enclosed area, don't lose sleep over it. Basically it will survive. Redgard can be used well at the seams and in cubbies for soap, etc, and I have had a client who requested the entire shower wall and slope be coated with Redgard. His money, and at $60 a gallon a little expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 05:20 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,370

Quote:
Redgard ALL the HardieBacker including the part that extends out of the tile area up until it meets the Sheetrock/Drywall
Why not extend the tile all the way up to the ceiling?
I agree with Larry the cement board shouldn't extend out into the room. Add a 2x4 if needed to stop it at the end of the shower.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 39

Thanks, I really appreciate your input!

I don't disagree to simply cut it off at the edge of the shower enclosure when possible. However, it's already done and is seemed up with the drywall and is already quite flush now. We are only talking about roughly 1 foot (half of which will probably get tiled on). To be clear, about 1 foot of HardieBacker extends out from the Left and Right of the shower.

Either way, I'll be skim coating other parts of the bathroom considering I have other parts of the bathroom to cleanup a bit. So this won't be extra work to do anyway.

Of the 1 foot, I'm thinking I'd probably end up masking off roughly 6 inches of the HardieBacker that extends out into the room past the edge of the shower enclosure. 6 inches will be for tile, and the other 6 inches can be skim coated and painted.

If I were to take this approach, the question is what is possible in such cases? If I have to paint over HardieBacker that has RedGard over it, then what steps would that be?

In other cases, for the parts where HardieBacker has RedGard over it, are the steps mentioned earlier appropriate to paint over the RedGard:

1) Apply Paint primer over parts of the HardieBacker that has RedGard applied where it will be masked off.
2) Skim coat over that part to make sure it's flush between Drywall/Sheetrock.
3) Apply paint Primer over the part that will be painted and which was just skim coated.
4) Paint it when the time is right to paint the bathroom.

This also sort of applies in the cases where RedGard is applied over the seems where HardieBacker meets Sheetrock/Drywall. If the RedGard extends a little over onto the SheetRock/Drywall near the seems, is it best to apply a Paint Primer FIRST on the RedGard to mask that off? Then, where the paint primer is applied, paint will later be applied.

In other words :
  • Always apply Paint Primer over RedGard before painting, correct?
  • Always apply Paint Primer over RedGard before skim coating over it, correct?

Or is it the case where you can NEVER paint over RedGard under any circumstances? Or?
JasonCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,370

I don't think I've ever had to paint over or apply j/c over redgard [other than maybe a little errant redgard] I have skim coated bare cement board and primed/painted. You'd definitely want to use a primer, just not sure what would work best over redgard.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,624

I agree with Marksr. Would it be possible for you to post pictures of what you have so we can see what you have? We can comment a lot, but without seeing it, it may not be the best advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement