Opinions On Cabinet Hinges For Rental Properties - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 225

Opinions on Cabinet Hinges for Rental Properties

First- the question, then the background:

What hinges do you like to use when updating cabinetry (if only the doors- paint grade) in kitchens/baths/built-ins, when the unit/property is a rental with turnover (be it several months to a year or so, maybe a few years apart)?

Now the background:

My family has multiple rental properties dating back to around the 50's on average. As tenants vacate we've been slowly finally working on updating the units to more modern standards, upgrading electrical, swapping linoleum for tile in kitchen and baths etc.

The only thing that seems to be a perpetual issue is dealing with the cabinets and hinges that are sometimes used and abused, other times not so. A lot of the cabinets have 3/8 partial insets and have typically been using the standard cheapo 3/8 inset hinges that screw onto the face frames where the only adjustments were to bend the hinges. Sometimes we wind up needing to make new doors, sometimes we re-do all the cabinetry, but we keep reusing/buying the subpar hinges making adjustments rough at times.

Looking into alternatives that are adjustable up, down, in out, etc to make fixes on the units (during turnover) easier (dealing with warp etc). The majority of cabinets wind up being paint-grade, and it's not too much for us to build new doors and make them full overlay- we have the tablesaw, routers, etc etc etc to do all that (besides the cost-time ratio sometimes coming out even with just making new ones over the labor of repair).

Just trying to find opinions on if there are better economical choices for our situation. The units are not the highest end quality to use and replace blum hardware, but they aren't low-end either. There's so many different styles that it's hard to wrap my head around the proper search terms to find the ideal economical solution, be it from a place like Rockler, Amazon, or a wood working supply site online etc.
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 370

Re: Opinions on Cabinet Hinges for Rental Properties

I found that eBay is a great source cabinet hinges and drawer slides. At a $1.50 per hinge, I use these on my rental properties and my own home.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Self-Clo...item5b227d97d5
costgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

Re: Opinions on Cabinet Hinges for Rental Properties

Most people want to cheap out on rentals. Big mistake. People don't use the same care as they do if they owned it so is going to take note abuse. Get some good hinges at a good price and sleep well.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement