Open Floor Plan Kitchen - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Open Floor Plan Kitchen

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I think I am posting in the right place. I figure I'd try and ask here to get a good idea of what I am getting myself in to.

I've recently purchased my first home and I would like to remodel the kitchen for an open floor plan concept. The home is a hi-ranch (raised ranch) home. I have posted a pictures that shows the layout of the sitting room and kitchen. I found this picture online, but it shows my exact layout and what I would like it to look like after.

The wall in the center is a load bearing wall and I would like to remove the wall that separates the kitchen from the sitting room. Behind the load bearing wall is gas stove top and some cabinets. This would mean that I would need to have the gas lines removed and rerouted to the other end of the kitchen. Also I would need to relocate the return duct for the central air.

I would also like to have the ceiling raised just as shown in the picture. I am guessing they will use a wooden beam right across to raise the ceiling, is that right?

I am currently trying to look for some contractors to give me an idea about pricing and what is needed to get all of this done. Am I missing anything else that needs to be done to have this accomplished?

Also, I am trying to budget all of this and I am not sure what would be a fair price. If anyone has a idea of what a fair price would be to have all of this done I would really appreciate it. I don't want to get ripped off by the contractors with a ridiculous price. The location is in Long Island, NY.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciate. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Open Floor Plan Kitchen-screen-shot-2016-03-08-11.24.42-pm.jpg  
FixxIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

You need to post a picture of your existing Kitchen, not some online image. The only way to find out if any of that wall can be removed is to have someone locally inspect to make sure that it is not load bearing, even with trusses installed for the roof.

It is going to be expensive when you do any kind of work on a home. Yes you can be ripped off, or not realize how expensive it is, unless you are asking the right questions.

Just remember that most contractors will not even talk to you without drawn sketches in hand, along with money in the bank to pay them. They consider it a waste of time when people shop for someone, because contractors do talk, especially if they have been in the business for a long time.

Prices vary even in every state. There is no way of telling you the costs of what this job will be, since you are going to have to sit down and work with the contractor to figure out everything for them to do the job.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Re: Open Floor Plan Kitchen

Thanks for your response Gregzoll.

You are right. I'm not so interested in the price because i know it will vary. I am more interested in what types of work needs to be done to accomplish the layout. I've attached some photos of what is behind the wall on the kitchen side and I did my best in capturing a view from the attic.

The kitchen side view shows the stove top, cabinetry and a refrigerator.

The silver vent exhaust shown in the attic pictures is from the kitchen. It doesn't look the previous owners ran the exhaust all the way to the outside of the home which would be changed in the new layout.

The attic pictures show that the joists are resting on the wall and the wall is load bearing. I'm not really sure what would need to be done to accomplished a raised ceiling. Any advice on how that would be accomplished?

Once again any advice is appreciated. If these pictures aren't good enough I can try to take more.

Thanks again.

Open Floor Plan Kitchen-20160313_121832.jpg

Open Floor Plan Kitchen-20160313_122306.jpg

Open Floor Plan Kitchen-20160313_122412.jpg

Open Floor Plan Kitchen-20160313_122433.jpg

Open Floor Plan Kitchen-20160313_122624.jpg

Open Floor Plan Kitchen-20160309_180248.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That wall is holding up the ceiling---so removing it will require a beam---
either below the ceiling--
or above the ceiling (saddle beam)
or flush to the ceiling joists

Point loads (the columns holding up the beam) need to be considered--the weight need to be transferred to the foundation or pad so that you do not cause a sagging floor---
gregzoll (03-13-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That wall is holding up the ceiling---so removing it will require a beam---
either below the ceiling--
or above the ceiling (saddle beam)
or flush to the ceiling joists

Point loads (the columns holding up the beam) need to be considered--the weight need to be transferred to the foundation or pad so that you do not cause a sagging floor---
I have almost the exact same layout, including the attic space above. I plan on doing the exact same thing and also raising/tray the ceilings. I was told that while that wall is loading bearing it's for the ceiling and removing it would not be "a big deal" in that there would be collar ties 1/3 of the way.

I did hire an architect as we are also doing some other stuff, so I'm awaiting his analysis as far as if that wall can be removed as stated above (putting in within our remodel budget).
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

It is almost always possible to remove a load bearing wall and replace with a beam and appropriate framing. If the project is simple, often a contractor can do the required calculations. If the project is more complex, the contractor often has an engineer on call to do the calculations, prepare the drawings, and pull the structural permit. An architect may also be able to do the required structural calculations.

In your case, I would rate your project as more complex than usual, because of the duct work, raising the ceiling, and the geometry of the layout. You will probably need an engineer, who will probably be hired by your contractor. This forum is not a good place to get price quotations, no one here is going to visit your site, and it is unlikely anyone on this forum is familiar with local rates for this type of work. Your best bet is to prepare scaled drawings of what you want done, but do not attempt to size the beams or develop the connection details. Just draw what you want the final design to look like. Then get several quotes from contractors, and see what ideas they have to make it work.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am in the middle of searching and contacting some contractors to quote and advise me on how to go about this project. I will post the solutions they suggest and also the estimates they provide. Hopefully this post can help someone else with a similar layout if they have the same questions.
The Following User Says Thank You to FixxIt For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-14-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement