Old Shower Floor Update - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
JPM
Bill Traver

Rewards Points: 135

Old Shower Floor Update

Please see photo attached
I pulled up an old prefab with foam shower floor and wall and found this.
It looks like it is an old shower pan as you can see old imprints from tiles. I do not see any liner though.
Wondering what options I have to try and use this (what problems will I have with drain as the one present is not 3way (old shower had drain with gasket sticking down into this one!) or if I should break it up .. if I do, what to do about drain.
If I can't use this, would it make sense to use something like REDI-BASE instead?

Just looking for thoughts and ideas.

Thanks so much!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Old Shower Floor Update-shower-uncovered.jpg  
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017, 05:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 382

Re: Old Shower Floor Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post
Please see photo attached
I pulled up an old prefab with foam shower floor and wall and found this.
It looks like it is an old shower pan as you can see old imprints from tiles. I do not see any liner though.
Wondering what options I have to try and use this (what problems will I have with drain as the one present is not 3way (old shower had drain with gasket sticking down into this one!) or if I should break it up .. if I do, what to do about drain.
If I can't use this, would it make sense to use something like REDI-BASE instead?

Just looking for thoughts and ideas.

Thanks so much!!!
That all definitely has to come out. The drain you use will depend on what you build your pan out of.

I prefer the clamping drain with pvc liner placed over a properly pitched pre-slope. Mortar pan and curb. Relatively inexpensive easy to obtain components. Not brain surgery but has to be done correctly and follow a process.

If you mean the tile ready base - I've never done one. They seem really expensive for something that may or may not fit in your space. Then you have to use their epoxy thinset. (Not an expert on this. I looked in to it several years ago so something may have changed)

Other guys like Kerdi systems with the foam pan and specialized drain and Kerdi fleece/poplypropylene walls. -- a wonderful system I have just not gotten around to try. Not cheap. But definitely less labor of carrying heavy backerboard and bags of mortar.
Erico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
JPM
Bill Traver

Okay, I can remove then decide how to proceed ... thanks.

QUESTION: I am a bit afraid of chipping away at the pan near the drain ... also, how do I transition the drain shown into a new one? Am I going to have to just chip away pan and cement, cut the welded PVC and begin anew?

You guys are great ... thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Okay, I can remove then decide how to proceed ... thanks.

QUESTION: I am a bit afraid of chipping away at the pan near the drain ... also, how do I transition the drain shown into a new one? Am I going to have to just chip away pan and cement, cut the welded PVC and begin anew?

You guys are great ... thanks for the advice.
Correct. You will need enough room to cut out old and glue in a new pvc clamping drain. Should be 2 inch pvc for a shower.

Are you on a concrete slab?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
JPM
Bill Traver

Yes, it is a slab. Not sure how well it shows, but the slab is below the pan. I am just going to need to be careful when busting up the concrete...

Any suggestions on how to do the with minimal damage to the pipe?

Thanks for getting me focused on how to proceed with this.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes, it is a slab. Not sure how well it shows, but the slab is below the pan. I am just going to need to be careful when busting up the concrete...

Any suggestions on how to do the with minimal damage to the pipe?

Thanks for getting me focused on how to proceed with this.
First, plug the drain so you don't send debris or tools down the drain. A big rag you can grab when it is time to pull it out.

I would use a chipping gun. Mainly because I'm lazy and I own one. You can rent one at the big orange box store.

Or you can use a cold chisel and hammer or two pound sledgehammer. Or a 30 pound hammer if you are John Henry and your wife trusts you enough to hold the chisel.

As long as you don't directly strike the pvc you should be ok. That stuff is pretty tough. Even if you chip the top you are ok. You just don't want to send a split down the pipe -- I wouldn't worrry too much about it though.

You can take up that old tile remnants if you rent a gun. Or leave them if the tile is well adhered. That is if you pour/set a mud pan - the pre slope can over the rough uneven surface.

Open enough space around the pipe to get your hands in there to either glue a coupling or directly to the trap riser or sometimes I use a rubber coupling if the trap riser is not plumb (don't want the shower drain cock-eyed).

This is probably a good time to confirm there is in fact a trap. You never know what some yahoo did. You want to know if you need to excavate a little bit more.

I would buy the clamping drain so you get a feel with what you are looking at. That is unless you are doing something other than a poured pan. HD stocks them now with square chrome drains.

Last edited by Erico; 02-23-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,514

Rent a demo hammer.. you can chip away the slab around the pipe and shouldn't really have any major concern about damage.. chip a bit at a time u should be fine...
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
JPM
Bill Traver

Thanks!!! Advice worked well (see photo). I am now off and running.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Shower Floor Update-img_1404_1488123992713.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement